Pike Fishing in Sheffield

grifff

Hi there Im wanting to get into pike but Im struggling to find venues around Sheffield which I can go to. So far I know of The canals and Dam Flask but Dam Flask seems rather big and daunting and I've read its quite difficult to fish and Im not sure which sections of the canal to visit.

So if anyone could give me information and where I can go that would be brilliant!

Just outside Sheffield there's Pebley reservoir between Killamarsh & Clowne, & at Clowne there Harlesthorpe Dam. Both were very good for Pike others may be able to say if they still are.

PS another venue that holds Pike is Ully but you have to walk a few yards!!

Be careful using deadbaits/livebaits in summer. Pike will swallow them back quickly and the increased time out of the water for unhooking can prove fatal when there is a lack of oxygen in the water during the warmer weather.

You'd be best waiting until the autumn unless you're very confident of getting the hooks out quickly.

Lure fishing is much safer during the summer!

a roving approach works best on the canal rather than a static one. if using deadbaits,

fish a swim for 20 minutes then move on. another option is to wobble a deadbait or fish lures for the smaller pike of which there are plenty.

Okay thank you! I will be using lures (mainly spinners) and Im going to try go tomorrow morning if its not raining.

---------- Post added 04-08-2013 at 17:42 ----------

Could anyone tell me where to go on the canal? went on friday with my dad in attercliffe area on the part that runs by the don valley stadium and didnt have anything touch my lure or my dads.

were we just unlucky or were we in a crappy section? should we try closer to victoria quays or go further away?

The section you went on is as good as any for pike mate especially what used to be the fox house stretch where its wider and there is wooden jetties on the opposite side, spinning can be hit and miss on the canal, wobbling sprats is a much better approach which is basically spinning with a dead fish!! Behind the bin place near bernard rd and also shepcote lane are too other places worth trying mate. The trick is to cover as much water as possible. We used to start at bernard rd and work our way all way up upto the basins at tinsley and plumpers stretches, and sometimes even all the way back to bernard rd :)

Archived