Is is right or the BBC to sell its programs to us?

Maybe if it was pay-per view people they'd sack off all those overpaid, annoying celebrities they keep on their books.

Other way around. They would have to increase their celeb fronted shows in order to attract more of the celeb obsessed British public to part with their cash. Say goodbye to The secret life of the motorway and the shipping forecast and say hello to Jeremy Clarkson's Caravan Smashathon and Ben Ainslie's Sweary Hour.

I was browsing the BBC's Radio 4 program list looking for a Podcast the other day and I noticed that some BBC Radio programs are free for a few days and now they are chargeable after this period.

Is it right for the BBC to charge the very people who pay for its existence more to obtain programs after they have aired?

i stick to the bbc radio 4 comedy (mainly newsquiz) it has always been free

I don't see a problem with charging for it..

I cant make up my mind on it. On one hand WE have paid for this content already, but on the other hand its freely available at air.

I can understand charging people from other countries as they do not pay the license fee, but we do but we are being charged for access.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 12:47 ----------

i stick to the bbc radio 4 comedy (mainly newsquiz) it has always been free

That's pretty much what I do, but I was looking at another podcast and I noted how some episodes over 14 days old were available at a fee. E.g: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0366w8b/episodes/guide

From episode Food down they are Not currently available but you can Buy Online to the right.

Why isn't the BBC making drama of the quality of the top US shows like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad etc?

Because nobody can make drama to the quality of Breaking bad, Except maybe the people who made wire.....

I cant make up my mind on it. On one hand WE have paid for this content already, but on the other hand its freely available at air.

I can understand charging people from other countries as they do not pay the license fee, but we do but we are being charged for access.

You're not. The programme makers will have paid for the rights for the initial transmission, a repeat a week later and 7 days catch up after each broadcast. This covers stuff like any copyrighted material the programme uses and things like repeat fees which some creative people can still require for the use of their work.

You're able to freely access the production throughout that period.

That's pretty much what I do, but I was looking at another podcast and I noted how some episodes over 14 days old were available at a fee. E.g: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0366w8b/episodes/guide

From episode Food down they are Not currently available but you can Buy Online to the right.

They're being made available by commercial operators who will have bought the content off the BBC (which goes back to making programmes) and are then selling that to you, as well as paying those fees above.

if they must charge, why not just keep it free for anybody with a tv licence?

All BBC radio services are available to all UK residents regardless of whether they own a TV licence. The reasons for not keeping it free are as above - it would simply make it too expensive for the BBC to bother making the programmes if they were to make them available free forever.

It was once said by someone at the BBC that if they were to make all their programming available for free on iPlayer after broadcast it would require at least a 10x increase in the licence fee just to pay for the rights.

Hi truman,

I'd like to see More documentaries, Factual Programs, Wild life programs the caliber of David A, and not about Bloody penguins and seals all the time, and no more Ben Fogle.

I'd like to see more grass roots Motorsports, and not just F1, Cricket and Football.

I'd like to see an end to Blumin Period dramas, every time I go to the states, they think that is how we still live!!

And Don't get me started on Dom...

Id also like to see more of Janina Ramirez,......As I'm really interested in History.

With pay per view I can weed out the content that I consider Chaff, Because there are some Gems every now and again. And not have to pay for everything.

And NO I don't want another Commercial channel along the lines of ITV etc, But I wouldn't mind a company paying for a program to be made in exchange for a bit of product placement.

Lubs

Jace

I think all the BBC should be pay per View, and do away with the license (TAX).

That way people have a choice and the BBC will up it's game or it will cease to be.

The thing is though that the BBC's output is already better than the other networks.

If they have to compete with Channel 4 and ITV then they'll have to resort to the same stupid lowest common denominator mass market tripe that they put out.

Archived