Is is right or the BBC to sell its programs to us?

BBC Worldwide (The BBC's commercial arm. owners of Lonely Planet and other media companies) which will then sell the broadcast rights around the world.

They sold Lonely Planet in March this year.

The thing is though that the BBC's output is already better than the other networks.

If they have to compete with Channel 4 and ITV then they'll have to resort to the same stupid lowest common denominator mass market tripe that they put out.

Agreed, people have to remember that ITV's business is selling advertising space, not making TV programs, which is the BBC's remit.

Why isn't the BBC making drama of the quality of the top US shows like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad etc?

Why do people have such short memories about the quality drama that the BBC does make? Parade's End? Ripper Street? The Fall? Luther? The White Queen? Top Of The Lake? And those are just recent shows I can think of off the top of my head. Or go back a few years and the BBC were jointly making Rome and Band Of Brothers with HBO for example.

How about the upcoming Peaky Blinders, which is essentially Boardwalk Empire but set around Birmingham in 1919?

The BBC will never spend as much money on a series as HBO. They have a lot more things they have to spend the licence fee money on to start with but more importantly the tabloids, not to mention quite a few people on here, would go mental if they spent £5m-£10m on a single episode.

I don't think anyone could complain about if the series made as much money as Game of Thrones does. GoT is mostly made in Britain, with a mostly British cast. Why on earth can't we be making stuff like this? Back in the 70s Britain made the best TV in the world. It's a crying shame that we have fallen so far since then.

I don't think anyone could complain about if the series made as much money as Game of Thrones does. GoT is mostly made in Britain, with a mostly British cast. Why on earth can't we be making stuff like this? Back in the 70s Britain made the best TV in the world. It's a crying shame that we have fallen so far since then.

The BBC still make lots of money out of family based dramas like Doctor Who / Merlin which are sold all over the world. Top Gear is still a massive cash cow, and then there's things like Dancing with the Stars Strictly Come Dancing, which is also popular worldwide.

We do still make quality TV, but HBO has formed a niche market in adult fantasy / ultra realistic dramas, which probably won't get made here because the demand and reputation doesn't exist to match the cost of making the programmes. A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time - Downton Abbey is making big noises for British TV in the States, and if HBO tried to compete it would probably now be laughed off as a copy / poor impression of Downton.

have we fallen so far? the bbc holds the top spot on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series&ref_=nb_tv_3_srs

Maybe if it was pay-per view people they'd sack off all those overpaid, annoying celebrities they keep on their books.

:clap::clap: Absolutely spot on! It's sticking two fingers up at those that can barely afford the license fee. There is lots of new talent out there, who would love to get a chance to do some of the jobs they insist on giving to their favourites and throwing ridiculous amounts of money at them.

And as for those swish new premises at a time when license payers up and down the country can't afford to even maintain their homes....don't get me started!!

:clap::clap: Absolutely spot on! It's sticking two fingers up at those that can barely afford the license fee. There is lots of new talent out there, who would love to get a chance to do some of the jobs they insist on giving to their favourites and throwing ridiculous amounts of money at them.

And as for those swish new premises at a time when license payers up and down the country can't afford to even maintain their homes....don't get me started!!

I thought that the idea was for the BBC to sell their expensive London property and move into cheaper premises around the UK?

Archived