Is is right or the BBC to sell its programs to us?

It ****** me off that when I go overseas I can't get the BBC iPlayer. It's totally blocked from any ISP address outside of the UK. I haven't found a workaround and really why should I? I pay my licence fee, in fact I pay it twice over because I have two houses.

I don't think anyone could complain about if the series made as much money as Game of Thrones does. GoT is mostly made in Britain, with a mostly British cast. Why on earth can't we be making stuff like this? Back in the 70s Britain made the best TV in the world. It's a crying shame that we have fallen so far ="Silver"]

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 05:19 ----------

[/color]

I don't think anyone could complain about if the series made as much money as Game of Thrones does. GoT is mostly made in Britain, with a mostly British cast. Why on earth can't we be making stuff like this? Back in the 70s Britain made the best TV in the world. It's a crying shame that we have fallen so far since then.

Please bare in mind all the TV pilots that are made here at $8m that flop horrendously. The BBC cannot justify investing that amount of money in a show that may not work.

For every Game of Thrones there are myriad shows that fall by the wayside.

Can you imagine being the producer behind the show that cost £10m for a pilot that no one watched? The country would be up in arms.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 05:22 ----------

If I ran the BBC it would be far more succesful than it currently is. And I would drastically reduce the licence fee, to about £50 a year.

Really? Share with SF your experience of running a multi billion pound company. Then share with us your experience of running any National Broadcaster. We're all waiting.

I'm no massive fan of how the BBC is funded but give it a rest.

I think all the BBC should be pay per View, and do away with the license (TAX).

That way people have a choice and the BBC will up it's game or it will cease to be.

Why should they be guaranteed Monies regardless of service?

They are not the Police after all.

Either way you are paying to view. They are not guaranteed if you don't buy the licence.

Taxes are usually unavoidable..fees are.

Please bare in mind all the TV pilots that are made here at $8m that flop horrendously. The BBC cannot justify investing that amount of money in a show that may not work.

A work colleague of mine goes to the studios in Manchester and watches lots of pilots. The only one which has so far made it to TV is Citizen Khan.

A work colleague of mine goes to the studios in Manchester and watches lots of pilots. The only one which has so far made it to TV is Citizen Khan.

I think people fail to realise just how many shows don't get past the pilot or single season stage. Many shows here get cancelled mid run because not enough people are watching.

The US shows that ship around the world are very much the exception as opposed to the rule.

uh..can you really not work that out? Of course it is blocked from outside the UK, because people outside the UK haven't paid for it...

The fact that you have paid means you can access it when you are in the uk.

The BBC have been looking at having a version of the iPlayer available as a pay site for people outside of the UK at a cost less than the licence fee. It's a good idea if it makes a profit as it could help to pay for the BBC.

It would make sense for them to offer free membership of this service to anyone who already has a UK TV licence and wouldn't be difficult to do. I'm sure a lot of people travelling overseas on business or holiday would welcome the chance to be able to keep up with the programmes they like.

It would make sense for them to offer free membership of this service to anyone who already has a UK TV licence and wouldn't be difficult to do. I'm sure a lot of people travelling overseas on business or holiday would welcome the chance to be able to keep up with the programmes they like.

How would you validate it in a manner which can't be easily shared?

Furthermore, the rights that the BBC purchases to broadcast copyrighted material is almost always geographically based, and the licence fee covers the use of that material in the UK / Ireland. The owners of the rights don't care if someone in India is actually a UK resident on holiday, they will still charge as if it is someone in India watching - this is what the fee to watch on the "overseas iPlayer" is there to cover, not the original production of the programme.

Everyone who watches a legal copy of a BBC programme abroad, even if they have paid for a licence in the UK, is costing the BBC extra money which would otherwise be spent on celebs programmes.

I think people fail to realise just how many shows don't get past the pilot or single season stage. Many shows here get cancelled mid run because not enough people are watching.

The US shows that ship around the world are very much the exception as opposed to the rule.

To be fair, most shows will see out a full season these days.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 16:14 ----------

They're being made available by commercial operators who will have bought the content off the BBC (which goes back to making programmes) and are then selling that to you, as well as paying those fees above.

Nope the BBC are selling THROUGH commercial vendors because they do not have the infrastructure to do so themselves. This may well change as they sell more and more of their content. However they have the technology already in place to limit the free access to UK residence, so their move to selling the content is a marked change from their current position.

To be fair, most shows will see out a full season these days.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 16:14 ----------

Nope the BBC are selling THROUGH commercial vendors because they do not have the infrastructure to do so themselves. This may well change as they sell more and more of their content. However they have the technology already in place to limit the free access to UK residence, so their move to selling the content is a marked change from their current position.

Like I said, it's free enterprise

Archived