Uruguay does the obvious regarding cannabis

It looks like Uruguay has taken what is probably the most effective and sensible step regarding drug abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23516966

The government will produce, sell, tax and regulate Cannabis.

"The supporters of the measure argued that the fight against drugs and drug trafficking had failed, and the country needed "new alternatives".

"The regulation is not to promote consumption; consumption already exists," said Sebastian Sabini of the governing centre-left Frente Amplio (Broad Front) coalition "

Is this possibly the only governmental measure that can be taken without making things worse?

That said, it will be very interesting to see how it pans out.

Seems to work well in the Netherlands.

Although....

In truth, Britain and much of the developed world is already one large cannabis cafe. If you doubt this, take some money to the nearest place where you might imagine finding dealers, ask anybody you see who looks as though they know a few, and within minutes you will find you own some cannabis, to do with as you wish.

The chances of anybody stopping you are almost negligible, as are the chances of being punished if they do. A "cannabis warning", with no fine or criminal record, is the most likely outcome for a first offence. This involves a policeman taking away your cannabis and telling you not to do it again. Or, should such mild peril still alarm you, you can always grow your own.

LINK

Cannabis is effectively legal in the UK now. The Keystone Kops (sorry, South Yorkshire Police Force) couldn't catch a cold in a flu lab, let alone any criminals.

It could make things worse. If alcohol had suddenly come to these shores from nowhere in the last 50 years would it be legalised? Unlikely.

That said, it will be very interesting to see how it pans out.

thats not the point, you cant argue against legalisation over 50 years without alcohol being illegal during those 50 years

prohibition of drugs hasnt worked, never will, in fact it DOES make things worse, regarding crime, health etc

take it out of the criminals hands, take the profit out of it.

tbh i think only a few stupid people would start doing it just because its legal, some may stop precisely cos its no fun being legal, but generally, itll be business as usual for the majority of tokers

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 20:38 ----------

Homer Simpson spelt Uruguay- "U...R...Gay!"

the best anti drugs post so far :thumbsup:

thats not the point, you cant argue against legalisation over 50 years without alcohol being illegal during those 50 years

prohibition of drugs hasnt worked, never will, in fact it DOES make things worse, regarding crime, health etc

take it out of the criminals hands, take the profit out of it.

tbh i think only a few stupid people would start doing it just because its legal, some may stop precisely cos its no fun being legal, but generally, itll be business as usual for the majority of tokers

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 20:38 ----------

the best anti drugs post so far :thumbsup:

You missed (or I failed to make correctly) the point. Imagine for second that the only alcohol in this country was in teeny tiny amounts and had never been mass produced and legalised, then ask a government to legalise it - I don't think that would happen.

Anyway, best of luck to Uruguay.

You missed (or I failed to make correctly) the point. Imagine for second that the only alcohol in this country was in teeny tiny amounts and had never been mass produced and legalised, then ask a government to legalise it - I don't think that would happen.

Anyway, best of luck to Uruguay.

All the available estimates and just walking down the street and smelling the stuff everywhere suggests we're way over the "teeny tiny amounts" stage. In practical terms it may as well be legal as it's everywhere. When it's far easier to get hold of than more than 12 paracetamol (or whatever the current suicide risk stupid limit it) then it's time to have a grown up debate about how best to deal with the issue.

Like you say good luck to Uruguay and if it works there then lets not be a late adopter.

Is this possibly the only governmental measure that can be taken without making things worse?

So if drugs were legalised, even with heavy taxes, I would assume that the price would come down? Perhaps it could be sold on ebay, do shady deals selling cigs n alcohol take place on ebay?

not ebay, but silk road.

I know there are proven areas where drug dealers abandoned the area due to heroin being given away by doctors, the dealers just din't bother with those areas.

The benefit was immediate regarding so many aspects- crime, health, safety -

The shady dealers simply cease to be an attractive option to addicts.

In my own experience;

I would never seek out cheap booze from an unregulated source as the risk is just too great.

I have bought cheap fags and thought the same, how much wood has been put into the tobacco how safe (lol) are these?

With regards cannabis its similar, If you know the grower you'd (probably) trust them more.

If I could buy government grown cannabis I would trust it a whole lot more than a random dealers.

I think the uraguay rules seem very sensible; 6 plants per person or 40 grams per month

for registered users from official shops.

Good luck to them, will be interesting to see what effect it has on their economy and crime rates.

Hopefully all the illegal drug dealers will go and work in the proper regulated industry, pay taxes, lead a good life etc etc etc.

Archived