HMS Sheffield - Shiny Sheff

Avatar changed to HMS Sheffield (Type 22) to signify my time on her 1989-1990 and to show the OP some more support :thumbsup:

I was serving in Gibraltar during the Falklands War and remember hearing the news of the missile hit and subsequent sinking all too vividly.

And yet you are qualified to troll on SF in the wee small hours?!

I'm a troll because i don't follow wars news ? :huh:

Would that make you an ignoramus if i asked you for answers on the latest Neolithic archaeological finds at the WKA dig ?

Strange logic.

I'm a troll because i don't follow wars news ? :huh:

Would that make you an ignoramus if i asked you for answers on the latest Neolithic archaeological finds at the WKA dig ?

Strange logic.

The Falklands conflict was on the general news on most channels 24/7, you could hardly miss it unless you're always tuned in to Al-Jazeera.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 10:10 ----------

I do vaguely remember the Falklands war, but i don't watch tv, read papers, or keep up with news. I do what's in my signature. :)

Google in 1982?

Thank you for all your replies. I am sure that this is still something that is remembered in Sheffield and that the ship is held great esteem. I guess I was a bit irritated; I don't really put up with p1$$-takers i'm afraid.

Just so you know, I didn't serve in the Falklands, I joined after that. My experiences were in hotter, sandier places. The guy that looked after me, as a new sprog, had just survived the Atlantic Conveyor. I knew from the conversations we had that it had affected him emotionally, even though he was one of the most outgoing blokes with the best sense of humour I had met.

I made HMS Sheffield my avatar mainly out of respect for those that lost their lives and who still suffer, and off course because she is affiliated to my nearest town. Thanks again.

Good on you!

There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here.

A lot of good people, with interesting lives, and interesting things to say don't last long on here because it seems to be some sort of saddos' club, and they are more interested in spelling mistakes, accusing people of racism and generally being obnoxious priggs...

Welcome to Sheffield Forum...as an ex serviceman I am sure you will survive the idiots xxx

Welcome to the saddos club.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 12:38 ----------

What was so insulting anyway?

Okay, I am new to this forum, so take it easy with me. I recently came out of the Navy and decided to join this forum. After trying to upload an avatar of HMS Sheffield , which was sank in the Falklands War in 1982, I encountered a little hostility from a single SF user on Forum News and Feedback.

Is HMS Sheffield, the Shiny Sheff, still important to Sheffielders, or do you think I am getting a bit over emotional?

youll find lots of arguers, pedants, racists, trolls etc etc etc just ignore em, put whatever piccie you want (within reason ;) ) lol

and welcome to the forum

Welcome to the saddos club.

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 12:38 ----------

What was so insulting anyway?

A lot of newbies can be easily put off by certain posters (saddos IMO) that have nothing better to do than try to upset, intimidate or offend!

There seems to be a lot of keyboard warriors on here that do nothing else in their sad little lives but sit on Sheffield Forum.

The OP asked a simple question on a previous thread and instead of a simple bit of help from a fellow member, a MEMBER, who could probably have helped the OP, started to act a A-hole. Not necessary IMO!

The OP deserves respect, as do a lot of other people (maybe that can't spell or are not as intelligent as some other posters) who probably have a lot to contribute to the forum, are put off by this intimidation!

The only avatar on here that annoys me is that one of Ticker's. The amount of times I've squirted Raid at the computer screen is incomprehensible to a sentient being! I've kept quiet about this, just in case someone else adopts a similar avatar ... although I feel that now is as good a time as any to make my grievances known.

Apart from that, it makes no odds what anyone uses ... the Shiny Sheff is a damn site better than a teeny insect that walks round the inside of the screen in my opinion. :)

Archived