HMS Sheffield - Shiny Sheff

• 3 months later...
Thank you for all your replies. I am sure that this is still something that is remembered in Sheffield and that the ship is held great esteem. I guess I was a bit irritated; I don't really put up with p1$$-takers i'm afraid.

Just so you know, I didn't serve in the Falklands, I joined after that. My experiences were in hotter, sandier places. The guy that looked after me, as a new sprog, had just survived the Atlantic Conveyor. I knew from the conversations we had that it had affected him emotionally, even though he was one of the most outgoing blokes with the best sense of humour I had met.

I made HMS Sheffield my avatar mainly out of respect for those that lost their lives and who still suffer, and off course because she is affiliated to my nearest town. Thanks again.

I served in the Falklands on Penelope...lost an old pal on Sheffield, Cook Ossie Osborn

Okay, I am new to this forum, so take it easy with me. I recently came out of the Navy and decided to join this forum. After trying to upload an avatar of HMS Sheffield , which was sank in the Falklands War in 1982, I encountered a little hostility from a single SF user on Forum News and Feedback.

Is HMS Sheffield, the Shiny Sheff, still important to Sheffielders, or do you think I am getting a bit over emotional?

You use your HMS Sheffield avatar mate, after all, they allow the Sheffield Wednesday one, and that's bad enough :hihi:

Okay, I am new to this forum, so take it easy with me. I recently came out of the Navy and decided to join this forum. After trying to upload an avatar of HMS Sheffield , which was sank in the Falklands War in 1982, I encountered a little hostility from a single SF user on Forum News and Feedback.

Is HMS Sheffield, the Shiny Sheff, still important to Sheffielders, or do you think I am getting a bit over emotional?

Sheffield is very proud of HMS Sheffield and was a brave ship that was sank a couple of times in her career she even had a pub named after her and received the freedom of the city .

I seem to remember that a sailor from Sheffield and served on the HMS Sheffield, drank in the Shiny Sheff, left some money behind the bar for his return, sadly he was killed. I remember the war very well, it was all very emotional. RIP to all who died, and to those who are still suffering, I wish you well.

I seem to remember that a sailor from Sheffield and served on the HMS Sheffield, drank in the Shiny Sheff, left some money behind the bar for his return, sadly he was killed. I remember the war very well, it was all very emotional. RIP to all who died, and to those who are still suffering, I wish you well.

we have a model of the old sheffield in our museum at rotherham

With a forum title like mine I thought I should have my 2penneth. The ship that died on my birthday 4th may 1982 was of course not the "Shinysheff" even though she might have been called that. The WW2 ship was called "shiny" because the good burghers of Sheffield at the time had all her brightwork made of stainless steel instead of brass. I'm glad to hear the later Sheffields being called Shiny. Lest we forget.

Archived