Bessemar/Fountain/Pig and Whistle pub, Leopold street

vikki

Just checking streetview, the old entrance to the Pig and Whistle is still there to the left of the fire exit from Bessemer with a small step up to the recessed doorway. Through there you went down a flight of stairs and it opened out into a very large and modern (by 1980 standards anyway) underground bar area. I am guessing this had not been open that long in 1980 and may even have had another name before the pig and Whistle. Some of this old bar will be where Bessemer toilets are now, and the rest is under the Fountain Precinzt offices bit, so it was indeed a large downstairs area. One of the biggest bars in City centre in 1980 it was comparable to the size of the Stonehouse with a long bar servery.

very trendy place and was The place to be for the 'New romantics' in 1981/2, otherwise a typical townie 'dress to vaguely impress' venue.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 15:08 ----------

Another reminder of a gorgeous building razed by our beloved council.

and many more going all the time.....they never ever learned this important lesson...DO NOT DEMOLISH YOUR OWN CITY HERITAGE..EVER!!!!

There was nothing much wrong with the Buccaneer building apparently, the Council just wanted to 'modernize'....... the only time demolition of a fine old building can be justified is if its completely beyond economic repair and badly damaged.....NOT JUST BECAUSE THE ******* COUNCIL WANT TO MODERNIZE!!!!

You would think after destroying iconic landmarks like the Gaumont Cinema, Hole in the Road, The Corn Exchange, to name but three out of approx 1500 great buildings that have gone since the 1950's, that they would have realized.....but no.....not interested in heritage....if it's old and beautiful, knock it down!!!!

And the Moor......so many great 1950's/60's buildings gone....for what, an ugly and soul less 'new market'....makes me sick to even go down the Moor....actually sick.......

get your cameras snapping around town because if you blink, another classic building bites the dust........so so sad and no other city in the Uk has lost so many fine old buildings that really ARE NOT IN NEED OF DEMOLITION!!!!

Edited by goldenfleece

My goodness, you're going back a bit there, bullerboY! The Buccaneer was part of the old Grand Hotel - see here.
I know,I had some good times in there I fell up the steps a few times and the girls were incredible.:D

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 18:38 ----------

I try to keep away from the Moor if I can help it because I start off in a good mood and when i get halfway down there i start moaning and getting depressed.I like to remember the Moor from the sixties.my thoughts on all the Sheffield councils past and present cannot be repeated on here.I remember the times when women got dressed up to go shopping in town now it is entirely the opposite.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Could anyone rack their brains and tell me was there anything at street level above the Fountain Bar / Pig and Whistle on Leopold street ?? I can remember there was two entrances to the downstairs bar but was there anything else there any help much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...