Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim child

Also: suppose that she had in error fed a nut-containing food to a pupil allergic to it?

Her negligence could have caused death.

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect a dinner lady to memorise the dietary requirements of 200 children. There should be a system in place to easily identify any child with a nut allergy.

OK- so was the dinner lady rightly sacked?

She was if this wasn't the first occurrence as her employers have suggested.

She wasn't if it was.

---------- Post added 05-08-2013 at 21:12 ----------

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect a dinner lady to memorise the dietary requirements of 200 children. There should be a system in place to easily identify any child with a nut allergy.

I think we need to hear what procedures are in place to ensure the right children are given the right food.

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect a dinner lady to memorise the dietary requirements of 200 children.

I agree.

There should be a system in place to easily identify any child with a nut allergy.

Again, yes- so why wasn't there for Halal requirements?

Also: suppose that she had in error fed a nut-containing food to a pupil allergic to it?

Her negligence could have caused death.

In a school of say five hundred pupils how is she supposed to know the dietary requirements of every pupil,i would say its up to the nut allergic child to ask before ordering the food if it contains nuts.

Archived