Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim child

You're over gilding the lily Peer Gynt.

The article says the child was offered the meat by the dinner lady and said yes, that's quite different to asking for it. It would be reasonable to assume from a 7yo child's point of view that food being offered to them by adult was suitable for them to eat.

I'm afraid I'm still struggling with someone who works in commercial catering on a daily basis 'accidentally' given a Muslim child gammon to eat.

In my mind you look at one (a lump of lary pink pork product), then look at the other (a child probably of Asian appearance) and alarm bells start ringing, whether they're Muslim or not!

Why are you struggling with it, some British Muslims are happy to eat pork and Muslims don't have a sign on their heads saying they are Muslims.

The move comes after Mr Darr’s recruitment firm was closed down in June when he was found to be working as a company director illegally.

Following an investigation by the Insolvency Service, he was banned from holding company directorships after he was caught pocketing over £500,000 owed in tax in 2008.

These are the kind of people that we foolishly accept into our country, talk about hypocrisy.

It amuses me no end that a case where a Muslim child is fed non halal meat can turn into a rant about immigration.

I suspect the media powers that be are manipulating this tale for all it's worth and wringing every last ounce of Islamophobic bile out of it.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:19 ----------

Why are you struggling with it, some British Muslims are happy to eat pork.

I'm not struggling with it at all and have said here many times that Muslim kids at my son's school regularly tuck into pork products (do a search). But they're teenagers who can make a considered choice, not 7 year old's who can't..that's why I said it would set alarm bells ringing only insofar as the default choice would be halal meat.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:21 ----------

Conveniently ignored by BF :)

Eh? Give me a chance you're not the only poster who's responding to my comments!

If that's true then it's an eminently sensible idea, obviously.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:22 ----------

BF seems to want his pork and eat it.

Don't we all, but you seem to have a predilection for pig's ear.

In my mind you look at one (a lump of lary pink pork product), then look at the other (a child probably of Asian appearance) and alarm bells start ringing, whether they're Muslim or not!

If my school dinner ladys were anything to go by, then they didn't really have time to look at everyone. They were too busy asking what they wanted, plating the food up and handing it back. How long are dinner times at school these days, 45 min to 1 hour ? How many kids to serve, feed and clean up after ? The clock is ticking from the moment the first nipper walks into the canteen.

If my school dinner ladys were anything to go by, then they didn't really have time to look at everyone. They were too busy asking what they wanted, plating the food up and handing it back. How long are dinner times at school these days, 45 min to 1 hour ? How many kids to serve, feed and clean up after ? The clock is ticking from the moment the first nipper walks into the canteen.

"of the 200 children eating in the canteen"

I don't dispute that, but times have changed the dietary requirements of kids are far more sophisticated than when I was at school.

Then you might have encountered the odd vegetarian but his mum gave him a pack up so he wasn't a problem.

Now kids are lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, veggie, vegan, halal eaters, non halal eaters, nut allergic..so serving food's become a serious job beyond just plating up and serving to starving kids. I'd guess that the training requirements reflect that.

Archived