Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim child

She says there was no training.No doubt this woman was paid a pitance for the heavily tasked job she was doing.Like she said,mistakes are GOING to happen.

I totally agree and wouldn't have sacked her if this had been a one off occurrence, but from other media reports it appears that it isn't. What happens when she makes the same mistake with a child who suffers from a serious nut allergy?

In my mind you look at one (a lump of lary pink pork product), then look at the other (a child probably of Asian appearance) and alarm bells start ringing, whether they're Muslim or not!

That sets a very dangerous precedent. Nobody would give pork products to any child of asian appearence if one risked losing a job over it.

"Gammon?"

"Yes please."

"Actually, you're a bit too brown. More than my job's worth. Move along."

Agreed, but still they will be pushed to the limit in what is required from them. Then again it's just like any job, you're employer will try and get out every last drop of work possible in the least time possible.

Again I agree with you, everyone's under the cosh, but people (Muslims and non-Muslims) tend to be particularly sensitive where the wellbeing of their children is concerned.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:36 ----------

That sets a very dangerous precedent. Nobody would give pork products to any child of asian appearence if one risked losing a job over it.

"Gammon?"

"Yes please."

"Actually, you're a bit too brown. More than my job's worth. Move along."

But that isn't what I said :)

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:37 ----------

Would she have been sacked for serving meat to a vegetarian child, or Halal meat to a non-Muslim?

Probably so if it wasn't the first such mistake she made.

The stupid Daily Mail getting its knickers in a twist over someone losing their job. Big wow :roll:

People lose their jobs, homes, livelihoods everday and the Daily Mail and forum reactionaries don't give a toss.

Oh hang on, she lost her job because it involves Muslims somewhere! Let's magnify that point a hundred fold just to confirm the loopy prejudices of the swivel eyed. Suddenly someone losing their job is important after all :roll:

Did you read what I posted? I said it would set alarm bells ringing. I didn't say their appearance would be grounds for refusing to serve them pork but any reasonable person would look at the gammon steak in their hand look at an Asian child and think are they able to eat this.

....and every 7yr old i know would be capable of saying can i have something else please! Just as most parents would know pork wasnt going to kill her, she didnt eat any, and it was a mistake and wouldnt make a fuss!

Again I agree with you, everyone's under the cosh, but people (Muslims and non-Muslims) tend to be particularly sensitive where the wellbeing of their children is concerned.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 12:36 ----------

But that isn't what I said :)

you make it sound like muslims children are more important than other peoples kids!!

They are not,some just think they are because we allow them to get away with this crap!!

Did you read what I posted? I said it would set alarm bells ringing. I didn't say their appearance would be grounds for refusing to serve them pork but any reasonable person would look at the gammon steak in their hand look at an Asian child and think are they able to eat this.

Why?

It appears the school educates children from many different ethnic backgrounds.

Children that look Asian aren't necessarily Muslims, and even if they are they don't necessarily avoid pork.

What do you suggest should have been done, assume they are Muslims and assume they don't eat port so don't offer it to them. Then she would have been accused of being racist.

It even appears she made a sensible suggestion to avoid the problem which was ignored by her bosses.

I totally agree and wouldn't have sacked her if this had been a one off occurrence, but from other media reports it appears that it isn't. What happens when she makes the same mistake with a child who suffers from a serious nut allergy?

In the schools my wife has worked in all nut allergy children take packed lunches as the parents know exactly what the child is eating.

Archived