Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim child

Let us also be frank; not eating pork is a religious belief. It is not the same as a nut allergy. One has possibly deadly consequences, and the other doesn't.

Absolutely

Let us also be frank; whilst it is quite possible to have in place a system to look after the dietary requirements of the very small amount of pupils with serious allergies like my son, it would be impossible to put in place a system to accommodate the variety number of choices of the rest of the pupils. Such a system will inevitably fail and could actually compromise the requirements of those with a genuine need.

The only sensible system, the only one that can possibly work, is to make those who CHOOSE what they want to eat, or what their parents want them to eat, responsible for their own choices.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 13:15 ----------

In the schools my wife has worked in all nut allergy children take packed lunches as the parents know exactly what the child is eating.

My son's teacher is given responsibility to make sure that the other kids are not eating nuts in his vicinity.

Did you read what I posted? I said it would set alarm bells ringing. I didn't say their appearance would be grounds for refusing to serve them pork but any reasonable person would look at the gammon steak in their hand look at an Asian child and think are they able to eat this.

And would the parents have been pleased had the child gone home and said the dinner lady asked me if I could eat the meat that was at school today. By the sounds of it they would probably have complained at their child being asked.

The only sensible system, the only one that can possibly work, is to make those who CHOOSE what they want to eat, or what their parents want them to eat, responsible for their own choices.

Well, yes, but, it's not about what the child wants to eat; it's about what the parents want the child to eat. The child may actually want pork, against the express wishes of it's parents. What then?

You've totally lost me there :confused:

The parents of this child seem to think that their child's dietary requirements are just as important as a child with allergies, or more important than those that are vegetarian, etc.

A vegetarian parent would be reprimanding their child for asking for gammon, not the dinner lady. But somehow religion makes it more important so the school must intervene.

Besides, my parents were vegetarian and I always used school as an opportunity to eat a crafty burger, many do. Who can say, other than the parents, a child cannot ask for non kosher food whilst out of sight of the parents? They are not the property of the parents.

I think its ridiculous! So what if it was her 2nd time giving pork to a muslim! They are old enough to say im not allowed pork can i have something else please. my 7yr old niece would without making a fuss. Its absolutely bleeding crackers!!! I wouldnt assume she was rubbish at her job for a second. The parents are idiots. Pushing to end a persons career. Nasty gits! They knew for a fact what they were doing!! As for the school and catering company they are just as bad! No back bone! Probably scared to death incase the parents went to the media and pulled the racist card!

My Bold=

If its the second time she has done it than IMO she is an anti Muslim doing it for some sick kicks and maybe an EDL supporter too.

My Bold=

If its the second time she has done it than IMO she is an anti Muslim doing it for some sick kicks and maybe an EDL supporter too.

You forgot the rollyeyes smiley to show you're being facetious/sarcastic.

:rolleyes:

Why?

It appears the school educates children from many different ethnic backgrounds.

Children that look Asian aren't necessarily Muslims, and even if they are they don't necessarily avoid pork.

What do you suggest should have been done, assume they are Muslims and assume they don't eat port so don't offer it to them. Then she would have been accused of being racist.

It even appears she made a sensible suggestion to avoid the problem which was ignored by her bosses.

Why didn't she ask the child if she was a Muslim just to make sure or is it that secretly she knew what she was doing and ended up getting caught?

Archived