Dinner lady sacked for accidentally serving pork to a Muslim child

Maybe the kid was a bit sick of the silly religious rules enforced on her by her parents, whether she likes it or not, and just fancied a nice bit of gammon - delicious!
I was thinking that, I bet she's been fancying a bit of gammon since she first went to school, saw her chance and took it :)

Shame the nice dinner lady proved to be a bit of collateral damage, though.

You forgot the rollyeyes smiley to show you're being facetious/sarcastic.

:rolleyes:

I'm being deadly serious actually, these days you have got to be carefull as there are quite a few Muslim haters about.

I'm being deadly serious actually, these days you have got to be carefull as there are quite a few Muslim haters about.
Get a grip, man. You're letting this religious stuff drag you down into a place you don't want to go. Seriously, mate.

..................what do they think will happen if they eat pork? The world will stop turning, the sky will fall on them? Give me strength.

If the person believed that what they were eating was Halal (permitted) it would not be a sin.

If they found out it wasn't they can ask for forgiveness, which Allah will give.

Muslims do eat bacon though, just like Christians eat Halal (me included). Not every white person is a practising Christian. Not every brown person is a practising <insert religion here>.

I'd just like to see the muddied waters of this story cleared up. Is it just a case of "Incompetent dinner lady sacked"?

Maybe the kid was a bit sick of the silly religious rules enforced on her by her parents, whether she likes it or not, and just fancied a nice bit of gammon - delicious!

Can't beat a nice bit of gammo with a fried egg and chips.

The dinner ladies are tasked with serving appropriate food to the right children, getting it wrong is something they know they can't be cavalier about,

So I guess before serving they will do a mental check and employ whatever strategy they need to avoid getting it wrong. I've no idea what those strategies are

I think the problem here is the age of the child and the accepted level of the responsibility of the serving staff..

Equally some dinner ladies quickly learn and remember what the dietary requirements of some children are, whereas others might struggle.

You say that you have a son at school and that your wife has some knowledge of school canteens, but here you're giving the impression that you have no idea what the official procedures are (if any) and they seem confused and disorganized for this supposedly important issue?

The parents of this child seem to think that their child's dietary requirements are just as important as a child with allergies, or more important than those that are vegetarian, etc.
They may or may not do, but it wasn't a view I was advancing.

A vegetarian parent would be reprimanding their child for asking for gammon, not the dinner lady. But somehow religion makes it more important so the school must intervene.

Again, I think we're speculating on the abilities of the child and the accepted responsibilities of the serving staff in that particular school.

Besides, my parents were vegetarian and I always used school as an opportunity to eat a crafty burger, many do. Who can say, other than the parents, a child cannot ask for non kosher food whilst out of sight of the parents? They are not the property of the parents.

Again, I agree and said so earlier, but what makes this case remarkable is that we're told this isn't the first instance of this dinner lady 'accidentally' serving the wrong food, that's why she was dismissed.

Given how many Muslim kids there are in this country this must be an everyday occurrence, yet we don't hear a peep about it.

Perhaps the incident isn't quite all that it appears to be, which is all I was suggesting from outset.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 13:57 ----------

You say that you have a son at school and that your wife has some knowledge of school canteens, but here you're giving the impression that you have no idea what the official procedures are (if any) and they seem confused and disorganized for this supposedly important issue?

Forgive me, I don't recall mentioning a wife or any knowledge of school canteens other than what one of my teenage children tells me.

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 14:01 ----------

..................what do they think will happen if they eat pork? The world will stop turning, the sky will fall on them? Give me strength.

Probably the same that will happen when youths pee on war memorials or burn poppies at homecoming parades.

People can be sensitive about all kinds of things, just because you don't share that sensitivity doesn't devalue it's importance to them.

Have you never seen a horror movie? One tiny piece of pork or non halal meat in a muslims mouth and the scene becomes that of an 18 rated horror flick, monsters fall from the sky! The said muslim turns inside out and starts chasing the dinner lady to eat her! Horrific!

Archived