IPhone 5 & 4G Network?

I got my iPhone 5 in December on a 2 year deal with O2.

As i knew that 4G was due for release in 2013 i asked if the phone was 4G compatible and i was told it was. Note, that i was told this before any of the companies had even bidded for the networks/bandwidths.

I have had it confirmed with O2 today that the iPhone 5 will not work with 4G with O2, Vodafone, Orange etc.........infact the only network it will work with is EE & Three.

If i want to to use 4G i will have to upgrade to an iPhone 5S which will cost me over £200 (plus trading in my iPhone 5) plus sign a new 2 year deal less than 10 months after i bought my iPhone 5.

Did anyone else buy an iPhone 5 under the impressions that it would work with 4G on their network when its made available?

I think they've got a major problem on their hands. :rant:

As i knew that 4G was due for release in 2013 i asked if the phone was 4G compatible and i was told it was. Note, that i was told this before any of the companies had even bidded for the networks/bandwidths.

EE's 4G network was up and running in December 2012, and the frequency allocations for the potential 4G services was known about in the mid 2000's. Although the auction for the actual frequencies being used by which operator was only decided in the spring, the frequencies up for sale were decided several years ago, with the Olympics being the major sticking point for doing the auction earlier.

Anyone telling you that an iPhone 5 would work with any signals other than EE was fibbing. None of the other frequencies that an iPhone 5 can use for LTE connections were or are up for auction in the UK and so won't be supported.

Impressive that you can pre-order an iPhone 5S, seeing as Apple haven't yet announced their plans for the next iPhone generation, let alone the naming. Did you get this information from the same person who sold you the 5?

I read it online & then went into Carphone Warehouse & O2 in town today.

No one knew anything at all. In fact they told me that my phone would work with the new O2 4G.

When i told them it wont work with the 800mhz bandwidth they scuttled off and came back and agreed with me.

I just spoke to Carphone Warehouse customer service & they told me its O2's fault & O2 have just said its their fault.

I really think this is gonna be huge in the news & i think trading standards will be involved for them misselling product.

Anyone want to go on watchdog?

As I said, this has been known about for as long as the iPhone 5 has existed. See also iPad's being sold as 3G / 4G compatiable when they didn't support any of the UK frequencies used having to have all their marketing materials re-written after the ASA got involved.

They clearly state on their web site the phones that will work on their 4G network at launch, and has already been stated, the frequencies allocated have been known about for years. You haven't got a leg to stand on.

Before you spent a significant amount of money on a phone, perhaps you should have done a 30 second google search.

I have had it confirmed with O2 today that the iPhone 5 will not work with 4G with O2, Vodafone, Orange etc.........infact the only network it will work with is EE & Three.

If i want to to use 4G i will have to upgrade to an iPhone 5S which will cost me over £200 (plus trading in my iPhone 5) plus sign a new 2 year deal less than 10 months after i bought my iPhone 5.

Did anyone else buy an iPhone 5 under the impressions that it would work with 4G on their network when its made available?

Sorry to say but it's you who has the problem on your hands!...........just don't trust anything the big company scroates tell you,otherwise you are just a mug without a leg to stand on.unless you are the biggest fat cat lawyer in the land.

These companies are all run by spivs.

We have to be very careful when buying phones. Ask people and research in google. Some people don't know the facts and they never accept it. O2 is going to launch superfast 4G network but not for iphone 5.

I know.

Ive been kicking off.

Im going into the shop that sold me it and record the conversation on my amazing iPhone 5.

When i asked yesterday they told me it WOULD work.

I just need them to say that while being recorded and ive got them bang to rights.

Orange and EE are the same company.

Archived