Duties of a City Council

Hi

Some time ago I stood as a prospective parish councillor. So I am aware of what a parish council can and cannot do; what it must do. I recall, in Leeds, the emergency homeless centre being closed down, because the council were doing something that was not their role. It should have been down to the NHS.

Our roads are getting worse, is that the role of the council, the council does many things that is not their responsibility, yet the basic things are being forgotten about.

Hi

Some time ago I stood as a prospective parish councillor. So I am aware of what a parish council can and cannot do; what it must do. I recall, in Leeds, the emergency homeless centre being closed down, because the council were doing something that was not their role. It should have been down to the NHS.

Wrong - the NHS has nothing to do with the homeless - however local authorities have a statutory duty towards the homeless.

http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/statutory-homelessness.html

Archived