Beauty products in the 1950s and 1960s

I think you are right DUFFEMS but it was a long time ago and it was really good at getting hair lacquer off the mirrors as well.:hihi:

Yes, the dreaded hair lacquer, if you sprayed your cherished bouffant with it you couldn't get a brush/comb through it for days!

Max Factor Panstick

Max Factor Sheer Genius

Pond's Vanishing Cream

Aqua Manda perfume

Soir de Paris perfume (formerly Evening in Paris)

Goya

omg aqua manda that brings back memories

Rive Gauche by ysl they still sell that

biba

Yardley perfume

Blasé by Max Factor Eau de Toilette

Charlie

old spice

brut

They still make Aqua Manda ! A little shop in Hebden Bridge started making it again a couple if years ago and I was lucky enough to get some . It still smells gorgeous of oranges and ever time I use it it takes me right back to being 19 . Just wish they'd start doing Aphrodisia and Styx now too .

http://www.feathergills.co.uk/

They still make Aqua Manda ! A little shop in Hebden Bridge started making it again a couple if years ago and I was lucky enough t:)o get some . It still smells gorgeous of oranges and ever time I use it it takes me right back to being 19 . Just wish they'd start doing Aphrodisia and Styx now too .

http://www.feathergills.co.uk/

I see that they do the black rose one as well its just like turning back time.:)

My Nan used Phulnana blusher in a little tin pot with a felt applicator. My Auntie used to have a little box of Max Factor mascara which had a mirror and a miniature brush, which she used for eyebrows, and lashes, She also kept a tiny black eye liner pencil in this box. Lipstick was always bright red, but she told me to bite my lips and put Vaseline on them?

Made a profound impression on me because they never left the house without their faces on?

Early 60's I used Pan stick, with Bridget Bardot eyes and 'nude' lips. I piled my bleached blonde hair on top of my head in a tangled mess and held it together with my Mum's 'Spray Net/Aqua Net/Rainette,' I think they were called. Which came in a small glass bottle and was decanted into a small plastic spray. On one occasion I used so much that I naively thought I could top it up with water...... and my Mum went mad. But then she bought me my own. The problem was I used so much that I couldn't wash it out and had to resort to using borax to remove it? Does anyone remember the dry shampoo? There were no hair dryers then, except at the hairdressers. We used to dry our hair in front of the fire???? I then grew my hair long in my hippy phase and used to iron it straight, until I had it cropped in the Quant style, then began using Biba products and adopted the Twiggy look, and spent hours applying painted eyelashes and false eyelashes. I then discovered Leichner which I still use to this day, and believe I have this to thank for the fact that I still have good skin... according to everyone I know?

My Perfumes were Intimate, Suede, Patchouli, (tiny little vials of perfume from the hippy shop on Chapel Walk) Tweed, Youth Dew and now Aromatics which I've used for the last thirty years. Ahh memories are sweet.

My Nan used Phulnana blusher in a little tin pot with a felt applicator. My Auntie used to have a little box of Max Factor mascara which had a mirror and a miniature brush, which she used for eyebrows, and lashes, She also kept a tiny black eye liner pencil in this box. Lipstick was always bright red, but she told me to bite my lips and put Vaseline on them?

Made a profound impression on me because they never left the house without their faces on?

Early 60's I used Pan stick, with Bridget Bardot eyes and 'nude' lips. I piled my bleached blonde hair on top of my head in a tangled mess and held it together with my Mum's 'Spray Net/Aqua Net/Rainette,' I think they were called. Which came in a small glass bottle and was decanted into a small plastic spray. On one occasion I used so much that I naively thought I could top it up with water...... and my Mum went mad. But then she bought me my own. The problem was I used so much that I couldn't wash it out and had to resort to using borax to remove it? Does anyone remember the dry shampoo? There were no hair dryers then, except at the hairdressers. We used to dry our hair in front of the fire???? I then grew my hair long in my hippy phase and used to iron it straight, until I had it cropped in the Quant style, then began using Biba products and adopted the Twiggy look, and spent hours applying painted eyelashes and false eyelashes. I then discovered Leichner which I still use to this day, and believe I have this to thank for the fact that I still have good skin... according to everyone I know?

My Perfumes were Intimate, Suede, Patchouli, (tiny little vials of perfume from the hippy shop on Chapel Walk) Tweed, Youth Dew and now Aromatics which I've used for the last thirty years. Ahh memories are sweet.

All fondly remembered catpus.

As well as drying your hair in front of the fire did you ever resort to the rear end of a cylinder vacuum cleaner? Ours was an Electrolux (two tone green) which blew out the back end, great for drying your hair if you had huge rollers in!

Still using Youth Dew and Aromatics but, recently migrated to Liz Earle No.15.

Happy memories.

All fondly remembered catpus.

As well as drying your hair in front of the fire did you ever resort to the rear end of a cylinder vacuum cleaner? Ours was an Electrolux (two tone green) which blew out the back end, great for drying your hair if you had huge rollers in!

Still using Youth Dew and Aromatics but, recently migrated to Liz Earle No.15.

Happy memories.

Hi Duffems,

I don't recall us having a 'hoover' until about 1960 ish; the same time as we got a TV?....My Step Dad would never have allowed me near it to do anything like dry my hair - he was a real tartar. My mum used to have a Ewbank, which was very innovative at that time? Especially when used as a pogo stick and had my legs leathered for it? Either that or she used a brush and shovel, or a mop, because we only had lino floors with a large pegged rug in the middle of the floor? Which Mum and Grandma would drag outside and hang on the line to bash with a big wicker bat? I used to help Gran peg rugs for the bedrooms. In fact she taught me everything I know about making things. Although she was well off , - having sold a Sweet and Newspaper shop on Dykes Hall Road, and her Husband being a Builder and Contractor -She used to buy everything from jumble sales... and would take a dress apart to make up a brown paper pattern for the next time she made a dress?. She also bought wool sweaters and would sit and take them apart, then skein them up and wash them, then I would wind them into balls on a three armed contraption that she attached to the stool. And then she'd knit them up into all manner of wonderfully patterned cardi's, hats, gloves and socks for all of us. She made tu tu's for the local dancing class, and bought sheets of leather and made bags and purses, that she sold at Fete's. I followed in her footsteps and became an avid creator of things, and produced mountains of stuff to raise money for School equipment at their Fairs and Care Homes. Then made flower arrangements which I sold at Craft Fairs for a few years..

Sorry for digressing... you know how it is when you get older, your mind wanders backward. LOL.

Archived