Lindisfarne, anyone been..

Very drole my man. :)

It's hard to describe exactly but there are certain places that just give you a connection with the past of our people, the spiritual journey that brought us here to where we are as a series of islands that literally took on the world and won. Lindesfarne and the Skellig Islands out from Kerry are the only two places I ever felt there may be a god. I do think anyone who rejects their history for "modern world" without ever looking back is that much poorer, even if the here and now is that much shinier and "app enabled" or whatever.

Although the island is a focus for early christian belief I felt that it had a feeling of pre christian worship and ritual.Even the occult! Indeed,the B&B I mentioned in my earlier post had a display cabinet containing occult ritual artifacts incuding,if I remember correctly(it was 30 odd years ago!) one of those mumified witchcraft hands that they used to burn to induce a trance.It was all a bit weird but I thoroughly enjoyed my night there!

thanks for all the advice you lot...it sounds a great place, def seems like something that has to be done before you die...

As well as the Abbey the castle is well worth a visit, it is said that from the castle with its elevated position the Spanish Armada was seen passing as it fled the British ships.

Very drole my man. :)

It's hard to describe exactly but there are certain places that just give you a connection with the past of our people, the spiritual journey that brought us here to where we are as a series of islands that literally took on the world and won. Lindesfarne and the Skellig Islands out from Kerry are the only two places I ever felt there may be a god. I do think anyone who rejects their history for "modern world" without ever looking back is that much poorer, even if the here and now is that much shinier and "app enabled" or whatever.

You'd probably love visiting Iona then - ever been? Makes getting to Lindisfarne look positivly pedestrian (and you have to be pedestrian on Iona)

Archived