A fair contract of employment!

Thanks Obelix, dosxuk and tinfoilhat. Taking account of your points in relation to night-working, I revise my proposal to something along the lines of:

... a legally recognised fixed contract of employment – with an employer free to offer any number of hours per week, from a minimum of one to a maximum of forty, with no unpaid overtime permitted under any circumstances, and a maximum working limit of 48 hours per week.

All retail outlets, cafes and unlicenced premises to be limited to opening hours between 8:00am and 8:00pm Mondays to Saturdays and 10:00am to 5:00pm on Sundays. Public Houses to be limited to opening times of 12:00 noon to 11:00pm daily.

Full time staff must be permitted to take two consecutive days off per week.

All staff to be allowed 30 days annual leave together with the current number of bank holidays (or time in lieu), with the exception of education staff, who shall continue with the current term arrangements.

Unemployed people must not be under any penalty-laden obligation to accept less than full-time employment, or fewer hours with the strict provision that the hours contracted are sufficiently remunerated to deliver a salary equivalent to thirty seven hours at an agreed 'living wage'.

I would propose that pay differentials between front-line staff and senior personnel should be limited to a factor of 10 and that any bonus scheme should be shared by all staff.

I would personally be content to see a much easier route for employers to terminate a contract for reasons of persistent, demonstrable underperformance, but this again must be free of any penalty in relation to eligibility for unemployment benefit (with the exception of dismissal for reasons of proven criminal or gross misconduct).

I would like to see a formal whistle-blowing policy with full legal recognition.

Thanks Obelix, dosxuk and tinfoilhat. Taking account of your points in relation to night-working, I revise my proposal to something along the lines of:

... a legally recognised fixed contract of employment – with an employer free to offer any number of hours per week, from a minimum of one to a maximum of forty, with no unpaid overtime permitted under any circumstances, and a maximum working limit of 48 hours per week.

All retail outlets, cafes and unlicenced premises to be limited to opening hours between 8:00am and 8:00pm Mondays to Saturdays and 10:00am to 5:00pm on Sundays. Public Houses to be limited to opening times of 12:00 noon to 11:00pm daily.

Full time staff must be permitted to take two consecutive days off per week.

All staff to be allowed 30 days annual leave together with the current number of bank holidays (or time in lieu), with the exception of education staff, who shall continue with the current term arrangements.

Unemployed people must not be under any penalty-laden obligation to accept less than full-time employment, or fewer hours with the strict provision that the hours contracted are sufficiently remunerated to deliver a salary equivalent to thirty seven hours at an agreed 'living wage'.

I would propose that pay differentials between front-line staff and senior personnel should be limited to a factor of 10 and that any bonus scheme should be shared by all staff.

I would personally be content to see a much easier route for employers to terminate a contract for reasons of persistent, demonstrable underperformance, but this again must be free of any penalty in relation to eligibility for unemployment benefit (with the exception of dismissal for reasons of proven criminal or gross misconduct).

I would like to see a formal whistle-blowing policy with full legal recognition.

Move to France. They have in some cases even more ludicrous ideas than you about institutionalised idleness already in place in their law.

Move to France. They have in some cases even more ludicrous ideas than you about institutionalised idleness already in place in their law.

Could you outline any specific objections or recommend any amendments that you consider might improve the proposal?

Archived