Who pays for the pets

I don't have children though, and I insured my income before I was ill so although I'm on some disability benefits I'm not on any means tested benefits and I'm still a tax payer.

My animals are good for my mental health as I spend a huge amount of time by myself at home. Every animal I've ever had was unwanted by someone else and I'm not about to abandon them again. I took them in for life and I intend to look after them until their dying breath- it's my job as an animal owner.

You choose for your circumstances and let others choose for their own circumstances.

So have you got MORE pets since youve become ill?

There are some people who are so well remunerated for doing remarkably little that they keep a whole kennel full of dogs, and a good few horses too, so that they can dress up and gallop about the fields all day blowing trumpets and shouting phrases like 'tally ho'.

There are some people who are so well remunerated for doing remarkably little that they keep a whole kennel full of dogs, and a good few horses too, so that they can dress up and gallop about the fields all day blowing trumpets and shouting phrases like 'tally ho'.

Yep i've got a few near me.

But the DSS don't question what their hobbies are,or why the rent they pay as a tenant is enough to cover the livery yard fees every month.

I suppose we should have gotten rid of our pets when my partner was on the JSA while he looked for a new job, then got new pets when he found a job :loopy:

Yes, a very small minority of people on benefits take the **** and waste it on things they don't need while doing nothing to help themselves, or worse claim more than they should fraudulently.

The overwhelming majority however are normal people who use benefits as a stopgap to keep them going until they can sort themselves out (if they can).

Whether you got made redundant and have 6 dogs, or smoke like a chimney, or drink like a fish, or only shop at Waitrose.... you're still getting the same payout each fortnight so what does it matter? Nobodies business but your own what you spend it on.

I suppose we should have gotten rid of our pets when my partner was on the JSA while he looked for a new job, then got new pets when he found a job :loopy:

Yes, a very small minority of people on benefits take the **** and waste it on things they don't need while doing nothing to help themselves, or worse claim more than they should fraudulently.

The overwhelming majority however are normal people who use benefits as a stopgap to keep them going until they can sort themselves out (if they can).

Whether you got made redundant and have 6 dogs, or smoke like a chimney, or drink like a fish, or only shop at Waitrose.... you're still getting the same payout each fortnight so what does it matter? Nobodies business but your own what you spend it on.

For the one year i was unemployed i retained my 3 dogs,i even required the services of the PDSA following an rta for one of the dogs. I didn't see anything wrong with any of it,at that time my dogs were brought up the old fashioned way - mixer and left over meat and veg to keep the bills down.

HOWEVER i would never have dreamed of increasing my financial liabilities by adding another pet or child whilst in that situation.

Most people are accepting of the change of circumstances - it's the ones taking the pee(and there are more than you think) that cause the annoyance.

I home checked an unemployed lady about 4 years ago,she was to be a fosterer for a dog rescue - she openly admitted she'd be taking the foster dogs to the PDSA for all treatment before they were rehomed as it was cheaper for the rescue.

I know there are so many people out there who have fallen on hard times after having children & pets and my heart does go out to them, but you have to admit there are those types of people who just don't give a damn and 'seem' to want for nothing...you can't help but look at them and think why should they get to have a pet/baby/i-phone?

Me and my Hubby would love to have a couple of dogs, but our working hours just don't allow for it....doesn't stop me looking at the chavs down the market with their staffordshire pups and feeling bitter!

I agree...I am a single mum and always worked...my son has worked from leaving school (3 days unemployed in that time) and he is now 23.

I know families in the area where I live, who nobody works in the household...one family four kids and two other families with five kids.

All chavtastic!

They all have a menagerie of pets and seem to go without nothing!

I was unfortunate not to be able to have another child because of finance, let alone a load of animals...

I don't think this thread is against people who are on benefits short term or because of the current climate...I think the long term (able to work...but can't be bothered...benefit scroungers) should not be allowed to keep pets! Half the time they can't even look after their kids let alone the animals!

And some of the attitudes on here go a long way to explaining why so many animals are ending up in rescues or being pts. When you take on an animal, it is for life. If times are tough, cut back on cigs and booze and junk food, don't just 'get rid' of an animal that has given you unconditional love since the day you brought it home.

As people have already mentioned, there are services available to people on low incomes to help with vet bills, and it doesn't need to cost a fortune to feed a pet (and feed it well).

Animals are not just a possession. They are living, breathing, sentient beings that deserve love and loyalty.

And some of the attitudes on here go a long way to explaining why so many animals are ending up in rescues or being pts. When you take on an animal, it is for life. If times are tough, cut back on cigs and booze and junk food, don't just 'get rid' of an animal that has given you unconditional love since the day you brought it home.

As people have already mentioned, there are services available to people on low incomes to help with vet bills, and it doesn't need to cost a fortune to feed a pet (and feed it well).

Animals are not just a possession. They are living, breathing, sentient beings that deserve love and loyalty.

So very true.

The government gives you enough just to get by. Pets are a luxury.

I dont think that people on benefits should have children.

There was a guy on the BBC program the other night that had worked 2 weeks in 20 years and in that time he had 3 kids. So his excuse was that he was a full time Dad.

How do you make that out, I'm up at 5 in the morning to walk our buggers in all weathers. You have a funny idea of luxury sir!

Archived