Who pays for the pets

I think his question was a pertinent one actually.

He wasn't questioning how you spend your benefits.............

I shall answer this in good faith although I'm really not sure how it's anybody's business.

I have less pets in number than I had before I was ill, though distributed differently. Less cats, no birds, less small animals, reptiles and tarantulas, although we have a dog now that we didn't used to have.

I shall answer this in good faith although I'm really not sure how it's anybody's business.

I have less pets in number than I had before I was ill, though distributed differently. Less cats, no birds, less small animals, reptiles and tarantulas, although we have a dog now that we didn't used to have.

Sorry Medusa - I'm genuinely interested in how animals can help peoples mental health and well being :)

Im going to reiterate what Madusa has said here that its no one else's business but our own when people are ill and have pets myself being one of them and have ruling by ATOS that i am unfit for work, but we have pets for company and companionship not because we are scroungers, i would love to work again but illness prevents this.

what does get to me tho is when benefits are mentioned on this forum everyone is tarred with the same brush (benefit scrounger not wanting work) lets be truly honest this is not always the case some people have genuine disabilities that prevent from work but we also are on benefits and also have pets for the reasons stated above company and companionship.

Sorry Medusa - I'm genuinely interested in how animals can help peoples mental health and well being :)

OK- that's at odds to the overall tone of the thread, which seems to be much more about expecting people to justify spending on anything that's not 'an essential'.

How do my animals improve my life?

Well, my house isn't empty when I'm the only human in it (which is a lot of the time) for a start. Another sentient being with whom to interact and for whom to have a routine, to get out of bed for and to get out of the house with. I'm not 'talking to myself' when I've got eye contact with the dog even if she doesn't know the answer to the questions I'm asking.

The dog is way too big to have on my lap but she's great for making sure that I don't miss visitors who are coming to the door because she alerts me a long time before they actually get to the door, giving me plenty of time to get there to answer it before the visitor/postie/delivery person assumes I'm not in and leaves. I have no doubt that she would also protect me and my home in the event that this was needed and that helps me feel less anxious and vulnerable.

For lap cuddles I've got the cats, who deign to come for snuggles when they have nothing better to do and I may have some Dreamies (I am under no illusions that they actually WANT cuddles!) and both dog and cats are very entertaining when playing with each other or me too.

Lots of different bits of research have also showed that stroking an animal reduces cortisol levels (I know you know it's a stress hormone, but for those who don't know, cortisol levels are related to how your sympathetic nervous system- the fight or flight response- is doing) along with blood pressure and heart rate. The routine necessary to look after an animal has also shown to be very helpful for all sorts of classes of mental health issues and living 'in the moment' with an animal really reduces anxiety too.

OK- that's at odds to the overall tone of the thread, which seems to be much more about expecting people to justify spending on anything that's not 'an essential'.

How do my animals improve my life?

Well, my house isn't empty when I'm the only human in it (which is a lot of the time) for a start. Another sentient being with whom to interact and for whom to have a routine, to get out of bed for and to get out of the house with. I'm not 'talking to myself' when I've got eye contact with the dog even if she doesn't know the answer to the questions I'm asking.

The dog is way too big to have on my lap but she's great for making sure that I don't miss visitors who are coming to the door because she alerts me a long time before they actually get to the door, giving me plenty of time to get there to answer it before the visitor/postie/delivery person assumes I'm not in and leaves. I have no doubt that she would also protect me and my home in the event that this was needed and that helps me feel less anxious and vulnerable.

For lap cuddles I've got the cats, who deign to come for snuggles when they have nothing better to do and I may have some Dreamies (I am under no illusions that they actually WANT cuddles!) and both dog and cats are very entertaining when playing with each other or me too.

Lots of different bits of research have also showed that stroking an animal reduces cortisol levels (I know you know it's a stress hormone, but for those who don't know, cortisol levels are related to how your sympathetic nervous system- the fight or flight response- is doing) along with blood pressure and heart rate. The routine necessary to look after an animal has also shown to be very helpful for all sorts of classes of mental health issues and living 'in the moment' with an animal really reduces anxiety too.

Great post.

Archived