Gibraltar 300 years and counting.

We just need to sit back and let the EU deal with it. Its illegal for them to impose such a fine.

No, it's nothing to do with the EU.

It's simply Spain being aggressive for the sake of it.

Why not ask Spaniards about Ceuta and Melilla, by the way?

---------- Post added 05-08-2013 at 17:53 ----------

I believe that Spain has two enclaves in North Africa Ceuta and Melilla which are to Morocco as Gibraltar is to Spain

Pot and Kettle and Black spring to mind.

Have a look in wikipaedia.

Yes, like I said; good post!

That's right, but Spain, like Argentina, will just keep chipping away until they get what they want.

Both Spain and Argentina have gone about their respective claims in totally the wrong way. But it's too late for them now, as they have got the pro British residents on the defensive.

The only chance they would have ever had would have been to be super nice and easy going with the residents, and be no threat at all. Allow and promote free trade with no borders. People would always be able to pass freely and operate businesses across the borders. In time, they would have gained effective control by osmosis and by not being a threat.

Both Spain and Argentina have gone about their respective claims in totally the wrong way. But it's too late for them now, as they have got the pro British residents on the defensive.

The only chance they would have ever had would have been to be super nice and easy going with the residents, and be no threat at all. Allow and promote free trade with no borders. People would always be able to pass freely and operate businesses across the borders. In time, they would have gained effective control by osmosis and by not being a threat.

I think the residents have always been pro British but that doesn't seem to matter to Spain or Argentina, it certainly hasn't stopped those countries trying

People fought and died to retain the Falkland Islands, it'd be political suicide to hand them back to Argentina.

There'd be plenty of support to defend the islands again if Argentina tried a repeat of the 80's as well.

There is a considerably larger garrison on the islands as well now, and if there was any funny business the first thing that would happen would be a large airlift of troops into Mount Pleasant.

I think the residents have always been pro British but that doesn't seem to matter to Spain or Argentina, it certainly hasn't stopped those countries trying

Yep, and the referendum in 2002 makes it clear:

87.9% turnout

98.48% voted No to shared sovereignty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum,_2002#Voting_and_the_result

The Spanish can't afford Spain so what's the point in 'expanding' into neighbouring territory?

I'm off to Spain next Monday; hope it doesn't 'kick off' before then!

Because it's a strategic point

Archived