Gibraltar 300 years and counting.

So the Spanish should give back Ceuta to Morocco then?

of course they should

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:22 ----------

The same people who think Gibraltar belongs to Spain probably think that Britain rightfully belongs to France. Because it's just a few miles away.

it's a different country, gibraltar isn't

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:25 ----------

Who moved Gibraltar?

It was a part of England yesterday.

then why weren't they paying taxes yesterday?

The same people who think Gibraltar belongs to Spain probably think that Britain rightfully belongs to France. Because it's just a few miles away.

Or does Spain also claim France, Portugal and Andorra because it has land borders with each?

At what point does a treaty become invalid?

When one of the signees economy is in the toilet and they have youth unemployment of 60%?

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:47 ----------

of course they should

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:22 ----------

it's a different country, gibraltar isn't

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:25 ----------

then why weren't they paying taxes yesterday?

Why are you hell bent on giving Gibraltar back to the Spanish ? They are trying to bully the residents into it, they aren't even asking nicely. Do you hate Gibraltar and/or Britain if so why?

I know the Spanish are hot heads I'm married to one but I don't think they would ever invade military,the government just want some money from it the Spanish economy is in chaps they see a successful economy on their doorstep and they want a piece of it, most Spanish people would jump at the chance to work in Gibraltar they do not want to upset anything,most of the workers there are Spanish,they live over the border and they get a lot more money working in Gibraltar,the house prices and rents are a lot cheaper in Spain.if we moved out and took all our money away it would not take them long to run it down.

I may be wrong but the Spanish have not invaded anyone since the 16th Century. If after WWII they even have an army they will be very out of practice. Given the distance the Falklands are from the UK and what we did to Argies I think Spain would be very ill-advised to think of invading Gibraltar as their first attempt at invading anyone after all this time. IMHO

Hain's joint sovereignty idea was put to a referendum in Gibraltar in 2002. It was rejected by 17,900 votes to 187.

Yes thats why we have refused Spain's request for joint sovereignty in the past, but now its really a dispute about the first treaty, and the Spanish claim that the treaty was not specific enough about the surrounding waters.

eh up cowboy, I was being ironic - my view is that gibraltar is spanish, malvinas are argentinian and ulster is irish - if spain claimed the island in the middle of the local park in 1700, we would be outraged. gibraltar is a tax haven used for massive smuggling into spain.

also, iraq isn't yank/brit

my view is that its all about distracting twits like you from the corruption problems in Spain. The fact that the crooks in charge in Madrid should try something that is so transparently a red herring is not surprising when theres people like you knocking about the planet:hihi:

imagine if you were in power, after the free-for-all over Gibraltar

you could get Germany and Denmark to fight over Schleswig-Holstein.

And the US and Canada can squabble over their borders, or The UK can renew its claim to North America. And then we can fight with France about Quebec.

And Scotland can invade Berwick, which was so disgracefully annexed by England.

And Portugal and Spain can argue over their borders.

And Germany can demand the return of its Eastern Territories.

And Poland can demand the return of its Eastern Territories.

And Austria can demand the return of its Empire.

And Finland can demand the return of Karelia.

would'nt it be an exciteing world then:D

Archived