Electric hob help

Hi. I have an electric hob (4 plate) and i want to replace it. I saw some yesterday that would fit the bill but i noticed they have like a power rating on them. How do i know which would be a suitable replacement for mu current hob? I dont have the manual anymore and im struggling to find my exact model on line so without taking it out and looking physically on it is there any way i can find out the info i need?

They all plug into a 13amp socket, so don't worry about it. They aren't allowed to make them a high enough power to make it an issue

Really? I thought hobs were hardwired into a fused spur with a large rating...? I think you can use up to about 8Kw if you have all the "burners" on at once.. that's over 30 amps...

They all plug into a 13amp socket, so don't worry about it. They aren't allowed to make them a high enough power to make it an issue

I very much doubt that - a single point is typically 2kW, larger ones are 3kW. About the only things that will run off a 13A socket are the little baby Belling sort of things with 2 hotpoints.

Typically a permanantly installed worktop hob is going to be 8-10kW, some of them can be larger. Mine for example is 11.2kW

Thanks all. So how can i find out what power my current hob has so i get a like for like replacement?

Thanks,.

Check the fuse or MCB - as long as what you are getting is within the current capacity of that then you will be OK.

I am sure Strix is correct, mine just plugs into a 13amp fuse.

I think old old hobs had to be hard wired. Then they started putting a plug on the modern ones. If you buy a new one it will probably have a plug on it so you will be okay check before you buy. Why not update to an Induction hob they are fantastic. Faster than gas and cheaper to run. You will want an electrition to install probably .

I think old old hobs had to be hard wired. Then they started putting a plug on the modern ones. If you buy a new one it will probably have a plug on it so you will be okay check before you buy. Why not update to an Induction hob they are fantastic. Faster than gas and cheaper to run. You will want an electrition to install probably .

I've not been able to find a hob which is rated a t a low enough consumption to be able to use a 13A plug...(apart from ones with only 2 "burners")..You can run an oven on a 13A plug ( we have one) but I'm not so sure about a hob...do you have any examples? Genuine question..not being sarky or anything.. :)

If you ring the manuacturer they may be able to tell you the rating but they are usually hard wired and the manufacturer generally asks for the serial number which unfortunately is underneath the hob where you can't see it. :roll::roll:

Archived