Would You Have a Gun?

Are we supposed to pass laws to prevent suicide happening? Is it a crime to attempt suicide these days?

Should laws be passed banning firearms for all because there are people among us whose balance of mind is disturbed?

Should the Nanny State hold us all to acount for the various problems of the minority?

Should the Nanny State totally take over our entire lives in deciding what's good and not good for us irrespective of personal opinion and thought?

Please point to where I've advocated any laws on this thread.

I've merely state my opinion that I think it is reckless and irresponsible for people to keep guns in their homes, haven't said anything about what the state should or shouldn't do.

The only reason I came on this thread at all was to correct you when you said this:

Well it all boils down to the fact that if someone is determined to commit suicide they'll do it anyway with or without a gun. They could jump off a bridge and cost the county a few thousand dollars having to dredge the river, divers and all that, searching for and recovering the body. They could jump from the top of a freeway overpass and land on some poor bugger's car, or worse yet under it causing that poor bugger a long period of nightmares, or they could hang themselves or stick their heads in a gas oven, the latter two options very unpleasant for the police if the bodies have been dead for a few days before discovery....So because a person does not have a gun it does not mean that they wont do it anyway.

You were wrong, and I corrected you, backed up with detailed studies from highly respected academic institutions. Now you are trying to pretend that I said something I didn't say because you are dishonest and/or haven't actually been reading what I've been saying.

I didn't come on this thread to argue with you about gun control, merely to correct you about the relationship between gun ownership and suicide.

Please point to where I've advocated any laws on this thread.

I've merely state my opinion that I think it is reckless and irresponsible for people to keep guns in their homes, haven't said anything about what the state should or shouldn't do.

The only reason I came on this thread at all was to correct you when you said this:

You were wrong, and I corrected you, backed up with detailed studies from highly respected academic institutions. Now you are trying to pretend that I said something I didn't say because you are dishonest and/or haven't actually been reading what I've been saying.

I didn't come on this thread to argue with you about gun control, merely to correct you about the relationship between gun ownership and suicide.

You wont admit it but your claims that guns increase the number of suicides is really an argument against owning guns.

How many suicides by gun a year compared to road deaths? This morning on the news accidents and injuries were 2 million last year caused to tweeters with IPhones.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 18:21 ----------

It isn't just one or two a year though, it's more like 19,392 in the US (source)

And although nobody on here has claimed that it's the preferred method (you made that part up) it does seem to be more popular than poison and suffocation, according to those stats.

Yep, that's the trouble, people do make mistakes with guns.

More examples

and

The world is full of naturally born wallies. The kind that would manage to lose a toe while operating a grass cutter or cut the top of a finger off when using an electric can opener.

They've always been around. Cant do much about em

Archived