Would You Have a Gun?

There are estimates, however. The U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents — far ahead of Yemen, which comes in second with about 55 firearms for every 100 people, or Switzerland, which is third with 46 guns for every 100 people.

If you lived in a nice suburb in the USA would you have a gun? Or would you not want them in your house?

It wouldnt bother me. I personally would have a handgun in a safe in my bedroom & probably a shotgun in the house too. Cant be too careful.

Is part of your post missing?

It begins with "There are estimates, however" :huh:

I should probably add I wouldn't want the arsenal I described if I "lived in a nice suburb in the USA", I'd want a nice big range in North Dakota or somewhere else equally unpopulated.

Why, there are plenty of ranges in the US where you can shoot safely. I am a member of a sportsman club that has outside ranges of 15,25,50,75 & 100 yards. An indoor archery range, a trap range and a fishing pond. All just 10 minutes drive from my house.

already have shotguns for sports/game shooting but it would be nice to have a handgun and maybe a small automatic in case of emergencies, much lighter and easier to use.

there maybe a time when we all need one:suspect:

You cannot own an automatic firearm in the UK

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 17:49 ----------

How selfish. I would probably kill in self defence if there was no other way, but I can't imagine I'd actually feel good about it.

Nobody said anything about feeling good about it.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 17:52 ----------

I would have lots of guns, I imagine.

I would have a Salongsgevär for shooting indoors.

I would have a full auto shotgun.

An assault rifle.

Several automatic pistols, and maybe even a revolver.

If I'm honest, I'd just use them for plinking, but plinking with an assault rifle takes some beating!

You can only own semi automatics in the UK.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 17:56 ----------

Why, there are plenty of ranges in the US where you can shoot safely. I am a member of a sportsman club that has outside ranges of 15,25,50,75 & 100 yards. An indoor archery range, a trap range and a fishing pond. All just 10 minutes drive from my house.

I'm a member of a shooting club near Sheffield that has 10 to 25 yards indoors and 50 to 100 yards outdoors Air, .22 rimfire and archery are the only guns allowed on the outdoor ranges along with archery.

How selfish. I would probably kill in self defence if there was no other way, but I can't imagine I'd actually feel good about it.

You've come out with some classics in your time but this must take some beating.

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 08:01 ----------

If you read the op, it says "if you lived in a nice suburb inthe USA..."

Sorry about that I wrongly assumed that we were talking about the UK.

The thing is though, when you consider the fact that you're more likely to hurt yourself or someone entirely innocent by accident than you are to ever need to and actually effectively use a gun for the purpose of self defence, that becomes kind of silly.

Owning guns is the opposite of careful, it's reckless.

I don't agree with that, change it to "owning guns for self defence" and I'd be more inclined to agree

Archived