Would You Have a Gun?

You can have a gun for two reasons.

One. You live in a crappy neighborhood and therefore the gun serves as home defence

Two. You live in a nice quiet, low crime neighborhood and have guns for recreational purposes, gun club competition shooting, hunting and the like

Finally, it's a no brainer that you buy a gun safe and store them under lock and key in that safe when not in use

As long as you don't have young kids around, like I often do. I took one of my granddaughters with me to visit a cousin. He wasn't home, though he left the house unlocked for me, which was quite nomal, except that sitting on the sofa, was a fully loaded Glock which Megan made a beeline for. I grabbed it before she did. As you say, the weapon should be handy to be of any use, but kids are unpredictable.

---------- Post added 08-08-2013 at 17:37 ----------

If there was a shooting range nearby to get some use out of it then I'd probably take some gun safety classes, but one and use it down there.

I wouldn't have one in the house just for 'security' tho, I'd rather make sure the house was actually secure and have a dog.

I like the dog idea, the bigger and noisier the better. When we lived in the old house we always had dogs, a chow, a basset/collie mix, and an airedale, all of which had big voices. Never a problem with intruders. Now all we have is an inside cat, cos we can only have little yap hounds, and I refuse to be seen with one.

As long as you don't have young kids around, like I often do. I took one of my granddaughters with me to visit a cousin. He wasn't home, though he left the house unlocked for me, which was quite nomal, except that sitting on the sofa, was a fully loaded Glock which Megan made a beeline for. I grabbed it before she did. As you say, the weapon should be handy to be of any use, but kids are unpredictable.

Yeah, pesky kids with their unpredictability, always making life difficult for those who prefer to leave their house unlocked with a loaded Glock on the sofa

If you lived in a nice suburb in the USA would you have a gun?

Yes. An AK-47.

For duck hunting.

Anyone else with half a brain can get firearms safety training and handling very easily

And they do...

Jiverly Wong

Nidal Malik Hassan

James Eagan Holmes

Michael Kenneth McLendon

Michael Page

Jared Loughner

Adam Lanza

Yes. An AK-47.

For duck hunting.

And they do...

Jiverly Wong

Nidal Malik Hassan

James Eagan Holmes

Michael Kenneth McLendon

Michael Page

Jared Loughner

Adam Lanza

What's needed then is that every gun retail store needs to have a crystal ball on top of the counter.

Sales clerk: Sorry Mr Holmes. Cant sell you a firearm

Holmes: Why not. I passed the background check. No criminal record

Sales clerk: According to the crystal ball if we sell you any kind of firearm you will go on a shooting rampage in a movie theatre in Colorado

As a matter of fact Adam Lanza did actually apply for a gun but was refused.

His stupid retard of a mother was to blame. She failed to secure her arsenal of weapons under lock and key and hide the key from Adam

---------- Post added 08-08-2013 at 22:17 ----------

As long as you don't have young kids around, like I often do. I took one of my granddaughters with me to visit a cousin. He wasn't home, though he left the house unlocked for me, which was quite nomal, except that sitting on the sofa, was a fully loaded Glock which Megan made a beeline for. I grabbed it before she did. As you say, the weapon should be handy to be of any use, but kids are unpredictable.---------- Post added 08-08-2013 at 17:37 ----------

I like the dog idea, the bigger and noisier the better. When we lived in the old house we always had dogs, a chow, a basset/collie mix, and an airedale, all of which had big voices. Never a problem with intruders. Now all we have is an inside cat, cos we can only have little yap hounds, and I refuse to be seen with one.

I have a loaded revolver well hidden away and the only other person who knows where it is is my wife.

I've lived in the neighbourhood since 1983 and the only trouble was that there were a few petty burglaries around the hood in 1985 and the perpetrator was traced to the son of a doctor who lived just up the road around the corner.

My grandkids wouldn't find the revolver in a hundred years. The rest of my guns are locked away in a gun safe.

I keep saying it but I fail to see why the right to own guns under the 2nd Amendment should be challenged by certain people who think that the idiocy, irresponsibility and criminality of a few should warrant punishing around 80 million other law abiding gun owners.

You know as well as I do when gun control is the law it's a sure bet that the privileged in society are bound to own guns without question. Certain laws dont apply to them

---------- Post added 08-08-2013 at 22:25 ----------

That's just not true at all. People are more likely to commit suicide if they have easy access to a gun.

Wrong. Guns are a messy way to end it and most people would agree with that view.

Sleeping pills or other strong sedation mixed with booze I would imagine are the most desirable. Nice easy, peaceful, painless way to go

Yeah, pesky kids with their unpredictability, always making life difficult for those who prefer to leave their house unlocked with a loaded Glock on the sofa
I had something to say to him when he got home, don't worry.

As a matter of fact Adam Lanza did actually apply for a gun but was refused.

His stupid retard of a mother was to blame. She failed to secure her arsenal of weapons under lock and key and hide the key from Adam

Which seems to be a common problem, there's been two other instances mentioned on this same page - yourself and Buck's cousin

I have a loaded revolver well hidden away and the only other person who knows where it is is my wife....

My grandkids wouldn't find the revolver in a hundred years. The rest of my guns are locked away in a gun safe.

I wonder how many other people have thought this over the years and how many were wrong.

From here:

Police: Child finds OPD officer's handgun, accidentally fires it

For the fourth time in eight days a child has gotten his hands on a gun in central Florida. This time the gun belonged to an Orlando police officer.

Orlando police said the gun was a personal weapon belonging to Officer Thomas O'Day. They said the gun was hidden in a closet, until his girlfriend's 9-year-old son came to visit.

I keep saying it but I fail to see why the right to own guns under the 2nd Amendment should be challenged by certain people who think that the idiocy, irresponsibility and criminality of a few should warrant punishing around 80 million other law abiding gun owners.

You know as well as I do when gun control is the law it's a sure bet that the privileged in society are bound to own guns without question. Certain laws dont apply to them

There's plenty of ways to improve gun control without affecting the 2nd amendment

Wrong. Guns are a messy way to end it and most people would agree with that view.

Sleeping pills or other strong sedation mixed with booze I would imagine are the most desirable. Nice easy, peaceful, painless way to go

What do you mean "wrong" ?

FJ didn't claim that death by gunshot is a non-messy, peaceful or painless way to go

Series of events;

That's just not true at all. People are more likely to commit suicide if they have easy access to a gun.

Do you personally know anyone who's committed or attempted suicide after previous attempts by different methods? I do, I found my friend after the second attempt and was present when the police broke in to find him hanging.

You were living in the US when this happened?

The thread is about owning (or not) guns in the US

FJ's post was about cases where there is easy access to a gun (example, the US)

Archived