BBC Shipping Forecasts

Does anyone still listen to these on BBC Radio 4?

Viking

North Utsire

South Utsire

Forties

Cromarty

Forth

Tyne

Dogger

Fisher

German Bight

Humber

Thames

Dover

Wight

Portland

Plymouth

Biscay

Trafalgar

Sole

Lundy

Fastnet

Irish Sea

Shannon

Rockall

Malin

Hebrides

Bailey

Fair Isle

Faeroes

Southeast Iceland

FitzRoy (formerly Finisterre)

I have fond memories of watching the film Kes when he recites Dogger and German Bight with his Yorkshire twang :)

I could listen to these all day long but they are only on a few minutes every hour, a fascinating subject for any sea dog.

I do still occasionally catch the shipping forecast. I love the music that precedes it 'Sailing by' and play it on the guitar and ukulele. I'm trying to encourage the band I'm in to mske it part of the set. Good for endings and partings I think.

Very evocative.

I've also listened to it on a three masted schooner in the middle of the North Sea, when it acquires an even greater significance.

Does anyone still listen to these on BBC Radio 4?

Viking

North Utsire

South Utsire

Forties

Cromarty

Forth

Tyne

Dogger

Fisher

German Bight

Humber

Thames

Dover

Wight

Portland

Plymouth

Biscay

Trafalgar

Sole

Lundy

Fastnet

Irish Sea

Shannon

Rockall

Malin

Hebrides

Bailey

Fair Isle

Faeroes

Southeast Iceland

FitzRoy (formerly Finisterre)

I have fond memories of watching the film Kes when he recites Dogger and German Bight with his Yorkshire twang :)

I could listen to these all day long but they are only on a few minutes every hour, a fascinating subject for any sea dog.

You forgot Fredastaire :rolleyes:

It's been a while since I've been awake at the time when shipping forecasts are broadcast, but it used to be a regular thing when out and about as a rep.

Sorry medusa ... now I have an image in my head of you going out by yourself in a rowing boat in all weather, selling fishing nets to trawlers on the high seas. Can't help it ... it's just how my mind works! :D

Archived