BBC Shipping Forecasts

Sorry medusa ... now I have an image in my head of you going out by yourself in a rowing boat in all weather, selling fishing nets to trawlers on the high seas. Can't help it ... it's just how my mind works! :D

That and the plunder he raped from willing sea maids :hihi:

Aye. I started listening to Radio 4 on the long wave in the mid-90s. Then, when I got a job in Wallonia, it became a ritual. I would come home at 7pm Continental time, just in time for the 6 o’ clock news, listened to the news and Just a Minute / I’m Sorry I haven’t a Clue / Count Arthur Strong / The Now Show / Bleak Expectations and so on and so forth, then the political debates and the documentaries, and I did not stop listening until midnight. The Shipping Forecast was the signal to go to bed.

Whenever there was a tempest at sea, I needs attached several coat-hangers to the antenna of my radio and hung them up on a lamp by the ceiling. I did not need a TV; my trusted BBC Radio 4 over the long wave was all I required. Happy days in bleakest frogland.

Archived