Real American BBQ-Common Room

verona

Has anyone tried it yet? I hear they spent over 30K in importing bbq pit ovens from the USA. Cant wait to try it. It's what Sheffield needs and what I have been craving ever since I came back from Memphis. From looking at the menu they put rubs on the meat and slow cook it for hour's over hickory and apple wood. Yummy!

I'd have opened a place and done this if I had the money.

The the crazy combo challenge looks like it'd be worth a go.

The common room details and location: http://www.sheffieldinsider.co.uk/sheffield-pubs-and-bars/city-centre-devonshire-street/the-common-room/

You have to order it 2 days in advance & only have an hour to do it. I think you have to sign a disclaimer too.

It comes with a kilo of fries. F-that!

Well I finally tried it last night. I had the St Louis ribs and my wife had the Boston butt. Both were nice, although my meat was a little dry in places, so can't have been basted through the cooking process as it should be.

The thing I didn't like was that there is no real designated eating area. We were seated next to people who were just having a drink at tables that should have been for diners.

I wouldn't bother with the baconaise. It was just a thimble size and was simply bacon mixed with mayonnaise, and really greasy. Texas toast was just two slices of toast with garlic butter, so garlic bread really and nothing like the Texas toast I had in the states.

Still, it's probably the nearest we have to the real thing in Sheffield. Prices are a little high for the ribs I felt. Going to try Red's True BBQ in Leeds next, see how it compares.

Archived