ASK.FM Web Bullying & Suicide

its NOT a foriegn site is it? its just a site that happens to be owned by latvians, and hosted in a foriegn place?

lots of sites are hosted in differing countries, specially torrent sites lol

So a site owned by foreigners and hosted by foreigners in a foreign country is not in your view foreign?

Jesus, what do you class as foreign then?

Sorry, but if you kill yourself after getting some abuse on what appears to be latvian facebook then you were mental to start with. Why the hell was she on this freakish foreign site anyway?

It looks like the website is getting the hammering for the parents mistakes. No wonder they are going hammer and tongues to get the place closed down.

It looks like the website is getting the hammering for the parents mistakes.

Spot on.

The aunt of the teenage girl suicide was on BBC Breakfast this morning.

The presenters asked "why did she keep going on there if she was being bullied".

Aunt: "erm, I don't know. Perhaps it was an addiction. Maybe parents should do more."

Spot on.

The presenters asked "why did she keep going on there if she was being bullied".

Aunt: "erm, I don't know. Perhaps it was an addiction. Maybe parents should do more."

The parents of whom, the victims or the bullies?

Spot on.

Its the society we live in these days. Unfortunately its a society of blaming someone else.

---------- Post added 09-08-2013 at 10:46 ----------

in some cases BOTH although sadly in most cases bullies and trolls are old enough to know better

Imo trolls and bullies arent the same thing. A troll is someone who winds people up, has a laugh but doesn't goe too far or get personal or hurtful. A bully is just a bully, the same as they've always been. Cowards with no balls!

At the end of the day, we should do what France are doing.

They are applying civil liberties to all internet activity, meaning that internet abuse will result in real world repercussions.

We are soft over here, we should name and shame everyone who uses any website to hide behind their keyboard and abuse many people multiple times in the worst ways imaginable.

It annoys me that a website is to blame. It's too easy. I heard earlier that "after 4 months of abuse on the site, the girl took her own life".

After 4 minutes of abuse, turn it off. Forever. If it isn't bringing joy into your life, do something else.

Agree with this totally and was arguing with a friend about this. Whilst a young person taking their own life is always a sad story I could not fathom why she would continue to visit the website if she was being bullied on such a regular basis.

As long as there is internet available for all to use there will be trolls. But personally I would rather suffer the trolls than try to have censorship applied as what seems to be called for on a consistent basis. If you don't like something you see online simply close the page, heck maybe even turn off the computer and go do one of a thousand other things you could spend your time doing. Parents blaming websites for the sometimes tragic occurrences that happen due to the internet I think only highlights their own shortcomings in taking an interest in what their children actually do online.

It is a sad story but unfortunately bullying is part of growing up. It used to be in the playground or where you lived.

Ask.fm has over 65 million users. This is an extreme case but people asking for the site to be closed down or charged with manslaughter is just ridiculous.

Sky News really sunk to a new low yesterday when they turned up demanding to talk to someone and to be let in to film. Who do they think they are?

It was like watching that bloke on Fake Britain chasing dodgy builders down the street. Totally unprofessional and i lost a bit of respect for them.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/skys-ian-woods-approached-ask-154017180.html

Archived