Restaurants past and present

Yes, I remember it well. Here is an advertisement from a 1970s directory. The restaurant dates from the post-war period; the "ESTABLISHED 1856" in the advert. refers to Tuckwood's original groceries business at 29 Fargate (about where Marks & Spencer is now) - here are two.links to illustrations on the picturesheffield.com site.

Yes I remember it well, it was like stepping back in time when you entered and having been shown to your table one would expect that any moment Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson would make an appearance. The menu was very good and I was never disappointed.

Yes, I remember it well. Here is an advertisement from a 1970s directory. The restaurant dates from the post-war period; the "ESTABLISHED 1856" in the advert. refers to Tuckwood's original groceries business at 29 Fargate (about where Marks & Spencer is now) - here are two.links to illustrations on the picturesheffield.com site.

Not quite as I remember it :hihi: but good photographs . Thank you .

The sentiments of Sharovian are well worth endorsing however . One was never disappointed with the food, service or the esthetics of the restaurant .

Reminds you somewhat of the Edwardian grandeur which is encapsulated in the Poirot series and I might add , Betty's in York which still permeates that atmosphere .

Archived