Best way to sell my car

I would honestly invest in a 2 week ad with Autotrader IF it is a nice car. For anything at a few hundred pound please ignore the following!

My fear as a car buyer, looking on free ads would be, if someone was not paying for an ad, I would worry about what else they would not pay out for. Maybe they will have skimped on the car also. I would not expect someone who has kept up the full service history of a car, and to have paid for slightly better upgrades on items like tyres and wiper blades to mind paying the c£35 to attract a serious buyer.

I would honestly invest in a 2 week ad with Autotrader IF it is a nice car. For anything at a few hundred pound please ignore the following!

My fear as a car buyer, looking on free ads would be, if someone was not paying for an ad, I would worry about what else they would not pay out for. Maybe they will have skimped on the car also. I would not expect someone who has kept up the full service history of a car, and to have paid for slightly better upgrades on items like tyres and wiper blades to mind paying the c£35 to attract a serious buyer.

Its fair comment,but ive been buying cars for thirty odd years and never thought about it that way.I do think the advert cost is often added to the asking price,so in my eyes the better bargains are on the free ads.:)

I've always found an Ebay classified ad works, but you really have to push the car - lots of big photos and plenty of text.

There's probably 20 similar cars being sold in your area so you have to make it stand out from the others and make the prospective buyer want it.

Plus the type of car and history has a big effect.

Photo's - and decent one's at that, and a good description go a very long way.

So many times you see adverts with one or two crappy iphone pictures and a short description - who in their right mind would even give them the time of day?

Give it a wash, polish and wax. Clean inside thoroughly

Take a bunch of pictures showing how clean and well looked after it is.

Price is competitively and people will beat a path to your door.

This is a good advert:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e30-m3-86-92/bmw-320is/1541508#

This is not so good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daewoo-Tacuma-SX-PETROL-MANUAL-2003-52-/310709238119?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4857b6b967

as others have said Autotrader is a bit more of a discerning so you're likely to attract a different type of buyer.

I bought a car a few months back and looked at both and the conclusion I came to was that car dealers tended to use autotrader and ebay, whereas private sellers tended to just use ebay...

I've always found an Ebay classified ad works, but you really have to push the car - lots of big photos and plenty of text.

There's probably 20 similar cars being sold in your area so you have to make it stand out from the others and make the prospective buyer want it.

Plus the type of car and history has a big effect.

I have a ford fiesta 2003 for sale so any tips are welcome :)

---------- Post added 08-08-2013 at 21:37 ----------

Photo's - and decent one's at that, and a good description go a very long way.

So many times you see adverts with one or two crappy iphone pictures and a short description - who in their right mind would even give them the time of day?

Give it a wash, polish and wax. Clean inside thoroughly

Take a bunch of pictures showing how clean and well looked after it is.

Price is competitively and people will beat a path to your door.

This is a good advert:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e30-m3-86-92/bmw-320is/1541508#

This is not so good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daewoo-Tacuma-SX-PETROL-MANUAL-2003-52-/310709238119?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4857b6b967

Ive taken lots of photos but some site have a maximum you can upload was helpful though just missed out the under the bonnet picture :)

I have a ford fiesta 2003 for sale so any tips are welcome :)

First, know thy enemy - go onto Autotrader and Ebay and do a local search (within 25 miles) for the same model and year as yours.

Note down the average price against mileage. Look to see which stand out and why, and which ones look drab.

Archived