Best way to sell my car

Webuyanycar.com gave me a good price for my wifes old car. If you're in a rush and can't be doing with the hassle of selling privately, give them a go. Doesn't cost anything.

They will never give you as much as some mug might via a private sale, but consider the cost of private advertising and the extra insurance and tax you will have to pay between now and then.....might just add up?!

Plus, you can claim any outstanding tax back if you sell to them.

• 3 weeks later...

We recently sold our car. Just put an advert in the car window, parked it on our street, and the following day someone bought it. We knocked £400 off the price but we were pleased to get it sold so quickly.

However, 2 weeks later the buyer came knocking on the door saying he had had a diagnostic check done and there was a list of faults (he said they amounted to over £2000) and he wanted his money back.

This was ridiculous as we had only bought the car just over 3 months previously from a dealer. If there had been any faults with it we could have taken it back to the dealer as it had 3 months warranty on it!

This situation has not yet been resolved but it has certainly put us off selling privately again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience. It would be interesting to know.

We recently sold our car. Just put an advert in the car window, parked it on our street, and the following day someone bought it. We knocked £400 off the price but we were pleased to get it sold so quickly.

However, 2 weeks later the buyer came knocking on the door saying he had had a diagnostic check done and there was a list of faults (he said they amounted to over £2000) and he wanted his money back.

This was ridiculous as we had only bought the car just over 3 months previously from a dealer. If there had been any faults with it we could have taken it back to the dealer as it had 3 months warranty on it!

This situation has not yet been resolved but it has certainly put us off selling privately again.

Thats the risk you take when buying privately,did he actually show you the diagnostic check print out,if not i reckon he is trying it on.

Tell them to do one, there's nothing they can do legally.

Your not a dealer, you can't be expected to know the exact mechanical state of your car.

Unless they have concrete proof you deceived them to any faults present then they do not have a leg to stand on.

I am selling my sisters car, we had limited success on ebay. It was on sale for £800 at first, and then £750, a few offers around £600. We didnt accept the offers, put it on a 7 day auction, and got £365 !!!! The car is MOTed, but not taxed and off the road.

But the buyer was zero rated, and wasnt interested. Next step ??

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 20:31 ----------

It has been on Gum Tree too.

Have you try a scrap yard?

• 1 month later...

Archived