Great Britain?

Way to go, the Banner. Thank you for your support for an old swaddie, and an old matelot. A little conscription would have done some of these malcontents some good, although a disservice to the professional, underfunded and underpaid regulars in your fine military. Let's stop feeding the troll HollSchweinhund, shall we. Let him have the last word then ignore with a laugh.

Still having fun here buck, so going to keep going for a bit longer. Bet Hillpig is a riot when in conversation, only opens his mouth to change feet. :D

Nice to see you are all getting on so well, do they let you out on your own or are you accompanied?

---------- Post added 15-08-2013 at 15:47 ----------

Must just take you up on the Duke of Wellington, he stood the Guards behind the Irish regiments and told them to shoot the paddies if they tried to run away.

Also to describe him as Anglo Irish is correct in that he was born over the water, but I do not think that anyone would ascribe any of his attributes to his "Irishness". Accidents happen, including where your mother is when the baby arrives.[/quote

Firstly point me in the direction of where that incident is recorded.

Secondly the Duke never denied his Irish roots & indeed played cricket for Ireland against England.

His mother was English, his father Irish making him Anglo Irish. Incidentally, the family surname wasn't originally Wellesley, they changed it to that when a cousin died without children & left them estates & titles.

The original family name was Colley, you know, an Irish name.

As to not ascribing any of his attributes to his Irishness, how about the fact that twenty three different races have been awarded the Victoria Cross & the Irish are second only to the English in number of recipients?

Or that thirty three different races have won the American Medal of Honor & the Irish are second only to the Americans?

How's about that for attributes required, considering he was a soldier?

Incidentally none of the above awards take into consideration the number of second generation Irishmen who won awards, there were numerous.

All your comments have been addressed previously other than the American Medal of Honor (honour). These are dished out like confetti, indeed it was necessary after the second world war to strengthen the seams of senior US Officers tunics they had so much metal hanging off them. I make no criticism of the Irish when they have seen the light and emigrated to the UK and indeed they have been worthy citizens after a period of civilizing.

Your turn.

Nice to see you are all getting on so well, do they let you out on your own or are you accompanied?

All your comments have been addressed previously other than the American Medal of Honor (honour). These are dished out like confetti, indeed it was necessary after the second world war to strengthen the seams of senior US Officers tunics they had so much metal hanging off them. I make no criticism of the Irish when they have seen the light and emigrated to the UK and indeed they have been worthy citizens after a period of civilizing.

Your turn.

Now, right there, Hillpig, that's why a lot of other nationalities hold the English in contempt.

With thankfully, a few honourable exceptions, the English have a reputation for having no respect for anyone or anything & holding an unwarranted high opinion of themselves.

The Americans may dish out certain medals in a more liberal fashion than us but not the Medal of Honor. Any recipient of that medal is deserving of respect, not from the likes of you obviously, my classless friend, but from any decent person.

As to all my comments having been addressed, still waiting for proof of your claim that the Duke of Wellington ordered the Guards to shoot upon his fellow countrymen.

Talking of The Guards Hillpig, look up what happened when the Coldsteams came up against the men from my mothers county of Clare at the battle of Fontenoy in 1745 :hihi: :hihi:

The only remark I know that Wellington made just before the battle of Waterloo while inspecting his troops was something like

"I dont know what they'll do to the enemy but they scare the devil out of me"

After the battle he declared that it had been "a close run thing"

Irishmen served in many foreign armies.

They fought in large numbers for the Union army during the American civil war. Lesser numbers for the Confederate Army

They fought in Napoleon's army . One of Napoleon's top generals was named Mahon who was of Irish descent

They fought in the French Foreign Legion, the army of Mexico, the Canadain Army, the Australian army, the New Zealand army.

Look in any American military cemetery anywhere in the world or on any American military memorial from the Spanish-American war to the present and you'find Irish names everywrhere

That goes for Britain's armed forces also. Look at the WW2 Merchant Seaman's memorial in London near Tower Hill. Ireland may have been neutral but plenty of Irishmen paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to England

The descendents of the despised bog Irish who emigrated to Ireland during the Potato Famine came back as Americans to help liberate Europe in both World Wars.

The great majority of those in World War Two did so very willingly but there were a few as my father-in-law said who were as mad as hell at being sent to fight for the English instead of being sent to fight against the Japanese but with a history like Ireland's there could never have been memories without any bitterness.

England has done well from the Irish and most English people will acknowledge that. There must be millions of English people who have an Irish ancestor somewhere along the line

The only remark I know that Wellington made just before the battle of Waterloo while inspecting his troops was something like

"I dont know what they'll do to the enemy but they scare the devil out of me"

After the battle he declared that it had been "a close run thing"

Welcome home old boy, I thought you said you had quit the battlefield.

Welcome home old boy, I thought you said you had quit the battlefield.

I've quit debating with you "old boy" My only contribution from now on will be aimed at attempting to state some facts in order to keep the thread on a reasonably sane course since you have done your level best so far to derail it completely :D

I've quit debating with you "old boy" My only contribution from now on will be aimed at attempting to state some facts in order to keep the thread on a reasonably sane course since you have done your level best so far to derail it completely :D

How dismal it is to see Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy their country was founded to escape.

Thanks for the comments at 225 Harleyman, nice that someone knows what they are on about.

Do you notice how old Hillpig has a habit of ignoring points that disagree with his biased garbage?

Still waiting for details of the incident where the Iron Duke felt the need to threaten his country men to get them to fight :rolleyes:.

Having visited Ireland virtually every year of my life, & having lived & attended two schools there, I have to admit that they are not a race who need too much encouragement to get stuck in :).

They were supposedly neutral in the Second War which was more a case of De Valera showing Britain that they no longer had to fight Britain's wars than any objection to violence :D.

In the event, thousands fought & many died in the war. They won 7 VCs in the Republic plus 764 other medals for valour.

Far more - even allowing for population - joined from the Free State as it was then than from Northern Ireland. One further VC was won by a Belfast man in the RN, J J Magennis. When Belfast city council first heard the news they called an emergency meeting & drew up plans for a civic dinner, freedom of the city & a march past.

A piece of further news then emerged about J J Magennis, & all these plans were abandoned. Turned out Leading Seaman Magennis was a Catholic, a Tiag :D. One of several reasons I have for disliking those so called Loyalists, who apparently have no problem attacking members of the Police force who are wearing the crown they purport to be loyal to :rolleyes:.

Is this the best you're capable of? Who was this Yank you liked? Liberace? Mike Tyson? Charlie Manson? Charlie McArthy? Dickie Nixon? Pee Wee Herman?

Your turn.

No true Irishman would believe a word of someone who tried to get back on good times, after throwing the insults round like spaghetti. Though clearly the would certainly be worthier citizens of any place than you are. You're not even liked by most posters on this thread even though they live in Sheffield.

Archived