Will Updating - Thought This Was Expensive??

We've been quoted £250.00 + VAT from our solicitor to make some updates to mine and my husband's Wills, it's the same solicitor who drew them up, albeit in 2005.

Does this sound expensive, or am I just out of touch with legal costs these days?

Thanks for any advice.

We've been quoted £250.00 + VAT from our solicitor to make some updates to mine and my husband's Wills, it's the same solicitor who drew them up, albeit in 2005.

Does this sound expensive, or am I just out of touch with legal costs these days?

Thanks for any advice.

You should see what they charge if you make the mistake of making them the executer of the will, it can run in to thousands! Hope you’ve not done that as well.

I think it depends on the complexity and length of the wills too, so although I think that the quoted figure is expensive, my will is a single page, so my experience is only of making short and simple wills.

If it is only small amendments download a codicil form and fill it in. I did this several years ago for my father, he later wrote a new will and I asked the solicitor if the codicil I had done would have been ok and he said yes it was fine. Other than that look on will aid and see when that is running and you can get a new will drawn up for a donation of a lot less than you are being asked to pay.

Thanks for the replies.

At the moment the solicitor is the executor, only because it used to be a personal friend of ours, but that is one of the amendments we are making now, as he has since died. Going forward, it won't be the solicitor.

I'll look into Will Aid, I'd rather give something to charity to be honest, if it's also cheaper then all he better.

While you are about updating your Will and changing executors, you might want to consider Power of Attorney. This is mainly thought of for older people but it is one of those things that is easily overlooked and might be very useful in the future.

I paid about £96 for my will to be set up a few months ago. As I understand it, updates are free.

I used Lifetime Financial Management based in Barnsley.

Is that a firm of solicitors?

If not, was the Will drawn professionally by someone with appropriate professional indemnity insurance?

[And no, I do not myself deal with Wills- so I'm entirely disinterested!]

Archived