Finding family ties

Found something interesting regarding a marriage -- Catherine Neil married Walter Phillips in 1901. I also looked at the births for Ethel Phillips born 1913 and her mothers name is given as Neil. What do you think hillsbro??

well smary - that seems in keeping with what we have been finding as well - it would appear that even though the census from 1911 lists my great grandfather as John William Phillips - he was actually born Walter

I do know that my grandmothers maiden name was Neil (I wasn't sure of the spelling previously) so I think that this is indeed correct!!!!!

Found something interesting regarding a marriage -- Catherine Neil married Walter Phillips in 1901. I also looked at the births for Ethel Phillips born 1913 and her mothers name is given as Neil. What do you think hillsbro??
Yes - I had found the same records [and an Ethel Shemeld, born c. 1913, died in Sheffield in 1968]. So it seems that John William (or maybe Walter) might have been an alias. Or maybe both - in the 1911 census return the birthplace of "John William" is given as Nottingham, but I cannot find a Nottingham birth record for either name at about the right time (c. 1879-80). Maybe he was or wasn't John William or Walter, and maybe he was or wasn't born in Nottingham!.:confused:

it seems so odd to change a persons name part way through their life - how odd!!

my dad does not recall ever seeing or hearing about his grand parents - which would indeed be this John William Phillips or Walter Phillips - and maybe this name change has something to do with that??????????

A little something for you to contemplate hillsbro!!!!

I have found a marriage for Thomas Neil to Elizabeth Cherrill 1866- they are down on the census as parents of a Catherine Neil born 1881 - Elizabeth Cherrill was born 1851 so married very young!!! but she has an older sister called Catherine and in 1861 she is living with this now married sister in Sheffield.

Hi smary - thanks for this - it fits in with what I was finding regarding Catherine Neil, though I hadn't got as far as finding Thomas and Elizabeth's marriage or their births. As you mention, the 1881 census shows Thomas Neil (34) and Elizabeth Neil (30) with their three children Thomas, 12, Joseph, 3, and Catherine, 9 months. Elizabeth Cherrell's birth entry is for Jan-Mar 1851, and the marriage was in Oct-Dec 1866; so Elizabeth was indeed very young!

I'm working on a chart in MS Word - PM me an email address if you'd like a copy.

I think I have found Thomas Neil living with his grandmother Jane Pease in 1861. A marraige for a Mary Ann Pease to Thomas Neil in 1841 who I think are his parents.
Yes, spot on - I'll add this to the "fledgling" chart. In fact this may be a "breakthrough" in the Neil/Pease line, because karenmay told me that according to information passed down in the Neil family there was a link with the infamous Charlie Peace, and apparently Charlie Peace had a sister Mary Ann, so this is perhaps the link. Now we need to find Mary Ann's birth.

The I.G.I. (familysearch.org) shows a Mary Peace born in Sheffield on 8 August 1821, whose parents were Samuel and Jane Peace. There is a Sheffield marriage of a Samuel Peace to Jane Parkin on 26 October 1817. It seems reasonable to assume that they were the parents of the Mary Peace who was born in Sheffield in 1821, and who was the mother of Thomas Neil Jnr. Whether she was the sister of Charlie Peace (born 1832) seems doubtful, as sources indicate that Charlie Peace's father's name was John. Perhaps John and Samuel Peace were brothers. In the 1861 census return Jane’s birthplace is given as Hull, and she would have been born around 1790-91. Unfortunately the I.G.I. does not show such a birth of a Jane Parkin. Some interesting information comes from the 1841 census - a family in Russell Street, Sheffield comprised Samuel Peace, Jane Peace and seven children aged between 5 and 20 (ages are approximate in the 1841 census) including a Charles and his elder sister Mary..:)

Interesting about the Parkin name because on the 1861 census there is a Parker family lodging with Jane and I haven't been able to find a marriage for this woman Anne known as Parker,Ward,Peace. So wonder if its typo for Parkin.

On the Charlie Peace side I seem to remember by husband's cousin saying her husband is related to Charlie - small world!!!

Archived