Who remembers Ivy Wello

kensimmo

• 3 months later...

I remember Ivy, she used to live in Southey- I forget the name of the road, but I remember passing her house on the number 10 bus once and she was throwing pots and pans through her windows.

Do you remember Eddie Bedstead? Lived near to the Parson Cross Hotel?

Ivy Wello used to live on Donovan Road used to dread her getting on bus.

Wasn't that Nellie Wello? She used to chop her doors and furniture up for firewood. The council would go and replace them, and then she'd chop 'em up again. That went on for ages.

• 6 years later...

I worked as a bus conductor and once Ivy was on the bus going into town or returning home it was a fun trip as one contributor has said she could sing, she also used to sit in her seat with her legs hanging over the seat in front,she used to hide behind a green electric box on Donovan Road at the junction with Adkins Drive and jump out when the bus was approaching, on one occassion when the bus had arrived in Bridge Street and everyone had got off the bus Ivy was still on the bus, I said to her ' Come Ivy this is the terminus you know that you have to get off' and she asked very politely if I could change a £5 note for her, when asked why she replied that the shop assistants would try try to rip her off with her change.

Archived