No smoking at airports..

That's what I meant. There used to be smoking areas. Pretty sure one of the bars had a balcony level you could go out and smoke on.

I might go and light up in the prayer room. Could I get away with that if I said I was a rasta ??

That would depend on what you were smoking.

Wow! Ha ha ha, bit harsh. Is that how you approach everyone who has a phobia?! Do us all a favor and try not to give advice to anyone.........ever!

Its not a phobia that you have it's an addiction.

---------- Post added 09-08-2013 at 13:48 ----------

Buy an E-cig. Some airlines allow you to use these in the air !!! British Airways is one as they allowed people to use them during my last flight back from the US.

It must have been a while ago. BA reaffirmed its policy in March and they are banned from all flights. As far as I know there is a CAA guideline to ban then on all airlines.

---------- Post added 09-08-2013 at 13:48 ----------

It must have been a while ago. BA reaffirmed its policy in March and they are banned from all flights. As far as I know there is a CAA guideline to ban then on all airlines.

I flew back from Las Vegas on 12th July and they allowed people to use them on that flight.

Ryanair also sold e-cigs on the last flight I took with them (May 2013) and advised that people could use them once they had purchased them.

Take some nicorette gum with you. I used to use it when I flew. In the end it got to be expensive and I still was addicted to nicotine, so I quit altogether. Now I see people standing out freezing in the winter and feel sorry for them as the passersby glower at them.

Has anyone used the smoking 'room' in Manchester T2? It's like a cage...absolutely horrible!

I usually have to wait near it while my Husband has a fag and there's a steady stream of people in and out so the whole area around it stinks. Plus all the parents line the prams up outside like a kiddie car park while they nip inside.

For a non smoker it's a nightmare, for a smoker it's a god send.

You should see people's joy when I tell them about the smoking area, they are ecstatic !

P.s you could sit well away from the area, there is plenty of places to sit at manc airport

For a non smoker it's a nightmare, for a smoker it's a god send.

You should see people's joy when I tell them about the smoking area, they are ecstatic !

P.s you could sit well away from the area, there is plenty of places to sit at manc airport

I think you'd have to sit upstairs to get away from the smell...it hits you as soon as you go down the stairs!

Just to clarify, I have nothing against smokers I just dislike the smell but I put up with it....same as my Hubby puts up with me coming home stinking of wine after a night out with the girls!

I do think it's unfair that the airports don't provide a decent outdoor area for smokers instead of cramming them into badly planned spaces like cattle!

What, to flying??

The smoking, I'm addicted to, the flying, I'm afraid of! You'd think I would be over it after all the flying I've done over the years but it doesn't get any easier!

I flew back from Las Vegas on 12th July and they allowed people to use them on that flight.

Ryanair also sold e-cigs on the last flight I took with them (May 2013) and advised that people could use them once they had purchased them.

I think that must be down to vagaries of individual flight attendants.

http://cloudnine.hillarymilesproductions.com/electronic-cigarettes/smoking-your-electronic-cigarette-on-an-airplane/

According to FAA regulations, smoking a lighted cigarette or anything that produces smoke or flame is prohibited onboard most commercial aircrafts; however, the FAA has not as yet (July 2013) issued a regulation for or against electronic cigarettes, leaving that decision up to the individual airlines.

Officially, no airline openly permits vaping; however, it is NOT illegal – it is only against company policy. There is a BIG difference between the two. Company policy is enforced by your friendly (or not so friendly) flight attendant.

Checking the websites of all major Airlines (and then some), I found only three to date - Japan airlines, Airtran and KLM who do in fact, address the e-cigarette issue directly on their sites. Here’s KLM’s policy-

“All KLM flights are non-smoking flights. Smoking is not permitted at any place or at any time on board our aircraft. This also applies to artificial cigarettes”.

Funny that they chose to use the word “artificial” rather than “electronic”.

Airtran says -

“In addition to smoking, the use of chewing tobacco and electronic cigarettes are not permitted onboard any scheduled or private charter AirTran Airways flight.”

I must admit, I’m relieved that the fat guy sitting next to me on my next flight to Miami isn’t going to spit tobacco into his cocktail napkin.

Japan Airlines posts this disclaimer on their site -

“Smoking is strictly prohibited through out the cabin including restrooms. The use of smoking devices without ignition such as “E-cigarette” is also prohibited as it may interrupt other passengers’ comfort or it may cause the misunderstanding among other passengers. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.”

Unfortunately it is this “misunderstanding ” that stops some airlines from allowing e-cigarette use, not any FAA regulation.

Calling the Airlines Directly

Since most websites did not address the issue, I called all the major airlines to inquire about their policy on the use of electronic cigarettes. True, I grew a few underarm cobwebs in the process, but my readers are worth such minor inconveniences.

As of this post, the major airlines that specifically say they do not permit the use of electronic cigarettes inflight are – Continental, American, Japan, KLM, Airtran, Delta , Southwest, United, Northwest, All Nippon Airways, US Airways, British Airways, Quantas, Iberia, Korean Air, American West Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Air China, Air Canada, SAS, KLM, Japan Airlines, Emirates, EasyJet, China Southern, Alaska/Horizon Air, Saudi Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Lufthansa, and Thai airlines.

Officially, no airline openly permits vaping; however, it is NOT illegal – it is only against company policy. There is a BIG difference between the two. Company policy is enforced by your friendly (or not so friendly) flight attendant.

Also, not following lawful instructions of flight/cabin crew is a criminal offence in many jurisdictions, so while it's not illegal to smoke these devices, you could be arrested for not agreeing to stop when asked by crew.

Archived