Meersbrook & Meersbrook Park Road

Mine are all good memories of living in the area in late 50's/60's.

Living on Upper Valley Road meant access to Meersbrook Park was second nature, 6 weeks school holidays were spent in there, Whitsuntide gatherings took place in Meersbrook Park.

I don't recall any trouble (gangs/muggings) in the area.

It was mainly families who lived in the area, several generations in some cases and, most people knew each other and would help out in difficult times.

Carfield School provided excellent education up to 11 plus/13 plus exams, it was a strict but, fair system.

This may seem a "rose-tinted" view but, it's endorsed by my other half who also lived in the area at the same time, we were childhood sweethearts who spent many happy times with our friends in Meersbrook Park.

hi duffems, the memories I have from heeley are really distant, we were rehoused up on the valley in 63 jus er'fore I was 10 it sempt like the other end of the world, I didn't want to go, I loved "skosh" at lowfields and hated the new herdings, eventually I settled down but it was the end of my enjoyment at school, i just used to daydream about fixing cars and when I left hurlfield in 68 that's exactly what I did -all seems a long long time ago, yet I wonder sometimes how the years seem to have shot by-- strange so strange?

Hi, My name is Ed Harvey. I lived at 110 Rushdale Rd., 1942-1964, when we emigrated to Australia. Meersbrook was a great place to grow up. The brook itself was a natural playground. In those days you could actually catch trout by tickling them. we caught sticklebacks, made touchburners, waded through the rat infested tunnel for a dare. Follow it up past the allotments, behind Rose Cottage on Cat Lane, and up through the woods. What a wonderful playground. The only dangers were rival gangs, we would yell threats to each other, then go our separate ways. Meersbrook Park was great for football, cricket, tennis, and especially sledging in Winter. I went to Carfield Primary, then High Storrs. My closest friends were Phil Selkirk, Dave Edwards, Ron Richardson, Malcolm (Mac) Wright. Does anyone know what happened to Mac? He lived at 87 ? Upper Valley Rd.Look forward to more about Meersbrook. Regards, Ed H.

Hi, My name is Ed Harvey. I lived at 110 Rushdale Rd., 1942-1964, when we emigrated to Australia. Meersbrook was a great place to grow up. The brook itself was a natural playground. In those days you could actually catch trout by tickling them. we caught sticklebacks, made touchburners, waded through the rat infested tunnel for a dare. Follow it up past the allotments, behind Rose Cottage on Cat Lane, and up through the woods. What a wonderful playground. The only dangers were rival gangs, we would yell threats to each other, then go our separate ways. Meersbrook Park was great for football, cricket, tennis, and especially sledging in Winter. I went to Carfield Primary, then High Storrs. My closest friends were Phil Selkirk, Dave Edwards, Ron Richardson, Malcolm (Mac) Wright. Does anyone know what happened to Mac? He lived at 87 ? Upper Valley Rd.Look forward to more about Meersbrook. Regards, Ed H.

Hi Ed,

I don't remember you, maybe my other half does. I recall Johnnie Hill from Rushdale Road. My other half lived at 47 Upper Valley Road so may remember Malcolm Wright, I'll ask. Dave Edwards comes on here though I haven't seen one his posts for a while.

You're right about the brook being a natural playground and wading through the tunnel being about as exciting as it could get, scaring each other with tales of rats as big as cats!

Hi Duffems, Nice to hear from you. I feel as if I should know you, as I have read many of your comments. If your other half was at 47 U.V.Rd. he must have been close to Ken Collis, and also Derek Billard. We were next door to the fruit shop, across from Ronnie Robinson the grocer, and Roberts the butcher. Directly opposite us was the bombed building, which was home to many fantastic bonfires through my young life. Take care. Regards, Ed H.

Hi Duffems, Nice to hear from you. I feel as if I should know you, as I have read many of your comments. If your other half was at 47 U.V.Rd. he must have been close to Ken Collis, and also Derek Billard. We were next door to the fruit shop, across from Ronnie Robinson the grocer, and Roberts the butcher. Directly opposite us was the bombed building, which was home to many fantastic bonfires through my young life. Take care. Regards, Ed H.

Ken Collis is a cousin. Was the fruit shop owned by Mr.Shaw who had a son in our class at Carfield? I remember Robinson's moving into the corner shop. We all remember the bombed building site where the bonfires took place, happy times.

Archived