Meersbrook & Meersbrook Park Road

I lived on Millmount Rd. and went to Meersbrook Bank School. The head teachers name was Pool.

Old Mr. Pool he is a fool, he goes to church on Sunday,

he prays to God to give him strength, to cane the lads on Monday.

We used to sledge down the hill from the brook towards the air raid shelters. The brook had clay in it and we made touch burners from it. They consisted of clay moulded into a box open at the top and a lid with a chimney. We burnt wood in it to keep our hands warm. Ah! happy times

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 13:31 ----------

I have very fond memories of Sheffield in my childhood and youth, I was born in a wooden shed at Meadow Head, my father worked at the, what is now an industrial museum in beauchiff, he was a scythe grinder. We lived in that shed for four years until we got a house on Southey Hall Drive. My earliest memory was walking behind my mother and aunt towards the house. I went the Southey School and every weekend we walked across the fields to Ecclesfield, Parsons Cross was just being built in 1933 where a lady mashed a big jug of tea for us as we sat in the park and " paggled in't watter "

I was born in 1936. I was told that my parents lived in Meersbrook Park Rd., but I was born in a nursing home on the opposite side. So although they lived in Yorkshire, I was born in Derbyshire! This infuriated my grandfather, who refused to teach me cricket, as I would never be eligible to play for Yorkshire.

Apparently the county boundary ran down the middle of the road.

Hello jfish, Yes I had the same problem but in a different sense. Two of my brothers were born in Southey which was of course the Yorkshire part of Sheffield. My birth certificate says DORE so I'm definitely Derbyshire, a fact which has never bothered me too much. I loved the Derbyshire dales, hiked around them most weak-ends.

Hi Duffems, Yes, Shaw's had the fruit shop. John was the son, and 5 or 6 yrs younger than me. Before Shaw's it was Hartley's, who were mad Wednesdayites. They had a red setter dog named Dooley, and old man Sam wouldn't eat bacon Because it was red and white. Robinson's the grocer, ( Ronnie & Ursula ) had a son Peter, I think a year older than me. Across from them was Harry Roberts the butcher. They had a daughter Pauline, about my age. I think the Johnnie Hill you mention was Ron Hill, he was about 3 or 4 yrs older than me, and lived almost across from Richards newsagents. Carfield Primary was a great school, except for the climb up & down Kent Hill a couple of times a day. Good exercise. I had a younger sister, Cynthia, and a younger brother, Frank. Do you remember them? Take care. Regards, Ed.

Archived