Is ALDI an eventual serious competitor to the big 3 supermarkets?

There is one item that I buy a lot of from Aldi, that all supermarkets sell. I like the taste and quality. But, (and here is the situation) it’s cheaper at Aldi. So, what happens is I go to buy a load of this item from Aldi and see other items that I usually buy on a regular basis, and these are also cheaper.

These does not seem to be a lot of the big brand names on their products, but I don’t buy much processed food at all.( The big brand tea & coffee is sold there though).

Recently there has been some Aldi adverts on TV. Is there a bit of a stigma attached to shopping in Aldi? Will they have to make big changes in respect of this, or is their niche the way they do things at present?

Edited by Janus

I find it somewhat amusing if not tiresome, that people used to slag off people for shopping at Aldi and now shop there themselves. So now it's acceptable is it? The same goes for young kids calling older people fat etc. It may be true but let's see how the kids fair in 30 or 40 years time. People love to ridicule but really they should think on.

I don't like shopping at Aldi.

I've used the one at St Mary's Gate at hated the experience. On the occasions I have been to that shop, the till staff whizzed through the items faster than you could pack them away. They are then rude to you if you don't give them your money as soon as you ask for it. The customers in the queue, then look at you with daggers.

I also find some of the other customers there very rude as well, (banging into you with their trollies - particularly the students).

Shocking place. Much prefer Waitrose, but I can't afford to shop there, so Morrisons will have to suffice :)

I've used the one at St Mary's Gate at hated the experience. On the occasions I have been to that shop, the till staff whizzed through the items faster than you could pack them away. They are then rude to you if you don't give them your money as soon as you ask for it. The customers in the queue, then look at you with daggers.

I also find some of the other customers there very rude as well, (banging into you with their trollies - particularly the students).

Shocking place. Much prefer Waitrose, but I can't afford to shop there, so Morrisons will have to suffice :)

Perhaps their attitude has rubbed off onto the staff?

Aldi won the best supermarket award for 2013 in Which magazine..

I like the way they whiz you through the checkout I hate queing and the dozy customers who never have their cards or money ready are really annoying.

Havent found the customers any ruder there than you get in any other supermarket.

I love noseying around ALDI. They sell some interesting stuff but dont have the range to take over from the big boys. If they did have the range they wouldnt be as cheap and would no longer be like ALDI.

LIDL seem to have fallen way behind ALDI going on the couple I have been in recently

Speed = productivity, productivity = cheaper products for customers.

It's a simple concept let them wiz your stuff through and put it in your trolley then move to the packing area and pack. The quicker they serve you the quicker they can get back on the shop floor and do other work. Unlike other supermarkets they refuse to pay spotty oiks to sit picking their noses.

Do I detect a little snobbery at work here? Aldi is the only discount food store around here. It's very busy, and customers come from every walk of life, loading up their Mercedes or Ford pickups. Where I used to spend around $200 a week in a regular supermarket I now spend less than $125. They carry almost everything the others do using generic names that taste at least as good,or sometimes a little better. So what if I have to unload my own cart, can't use a credit card, only a debit card. I don't use credit cards anyway, and as for a quarter to take a cart out, you get it back when you return the cart.