Is ALDI an eventual serious competitor to the big 3 supermarkets?

I have shopped at Tesco for the best part of fifteen years. I then started to go to Aldi for the odd thing, and then I started trying things I would normally get from Tesco. Now I do all my shopping at Aldi. Some things take a little getting used to but all in all it's the same quality, even some of the packaging is the same as Tesco and is probably made in the same place. My shopping bill has dropped dramatically. The wine is is really good and a lot cheaper than Tesco. I still pop to Tesco for the odd thing, but not much now days.

I have shopped at Tesco for the best part of fifteen years. I then started to go to Aldi for the odd thing, and then I started trying things I would normally get from Tesco. Now I do all my shopping at Aldi. Some things take a little getting used to but all in all it's the same quality, even some of the packaging is the same as Tesco and is probably made in the same place. My shopping bill has dropped dramatically. The wine is is really good and a lot cheaper than Tesco. I still pop to Tesco for the odd thing, but not much now days.

Ah yes the wine,Pino Grigio at 3.99 just as good as the more expensive,And the german lagers are well worth trying.

Aldi are the best of the discount supermarkets imo.

They have some great quality products at very good prices.

However they simply don't offer the choice of the big 3 and as the thread shows many people just do some of their shopping their.

Don't like the long ques at checkouts either and no self checkouts if you are just buying a couple of items.

My OH likes a glass or two of red wine. We read a wine review, and I started buying some in Aldi. Half the price of Tesco and Asda, and he's been really impressed with it. I still can't do all my shopping in Aldi, but I pop up to Ecclesfield every couple of weeks, and the number of products I buy has increased. I don't mind the packing as I'm fairly organised (even though I'm an OAP :roll:) and get more frustrated having to wait behind the ditherers who don't get their money/card/purse/wallet out until they've packed every bit, very slowly. At least at Aldi I can take my time after I've paid. The staff serving have been pleasant to say the least.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2340320/Aldi-named-Grocer-Year-huge-efforts-attracting-Middle-Britain-shoppers.html

I'm happy trying any supermarket, I still go to Tesco for some of their own brand salad items I can't get elsewhere. I also use my local Morrisons for convenience, but I think their customer service is consistently the worst I've encountered.

I have to shop at all the supermarket chains 'cos i'm fussy. Aldi has very limited choice imho but for the basics it's just as good as the others.

Last month i spent £185 at Asda,this month i'm trying Aldi and Morrisons weekly to try and reduce it.

Aldi is a very large supermarket chain selling a very long list of products.

But not where you live.

Not yet, anyway.

Aldi and Lidl have penetrated the British market (albeit with a comparatively small presence.)

Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys and Morrisons have not - for some reason - managed to penetrate the German market.

Walmart tried - and failed dismally.

What are the major American supermarkets other than Wal-Mart? Is Piggly Wiggly a big chain?
Pigglt Wiggly is big down south, along with Publix in Florida, and Food Lion. In the Northeast BigY, Stop and Shop, Shoprite, Pricerite and others.