Is ALDI an eventual serious competitor to the big 3 supermarkets?

Most of the big 4 have stepped up their own label offerings or brought in 'season lines'/£1 offers (Tesco did) due to the ongoing threat from discounters like Aldi/Lidl.

Aldi is fine for some general topping up and as they don't focus on brands- they do provide decent quality products sourced from other countries, especially Germany, that usually suffice.

I have tried some cereals, biscuits and snacks that were good quality and would have cost me more if these were labelled Kelloggs/McVities or Walkers.

...Aldi is fine for some general topping up and as they don't focus on brands - they do provide decent quality products sourced from other countries, especially Germany, that usually suffice...

Should that not read: "They don't focus on brands with which I am familiar"?

Edited by Rupert_Baehr
fix bold

Should that not read: "They don't focus on brands with which I am familiar"?

What I was trying to say is they don't focus on normal brands seen in mainstream stores (kelloggs/walkers/Mcvities/P&G etc).

I agree, the labels we see in Aldi may be big brands in Germany or elsewhere.

This is somewhat dated (2007) but according to the Telegraph, the number of Tesco stores worldwide is 2700.

The number of Aldi stores worldwide is 9,221.

From a UK perspective, Tesco dominate and still hold biggest market share over most of their rivals- though they have started to see dips.

Aldi has around 421 stores here compared to Tesco (across all their symbols) with over 3,000.

Tesco did fail in USA with their Fresh and Easy brand.

I personally prefer Asda over Tesco.

Well, when you write posts you don't give the impression that you're English, either - so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :hihi:

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 12:06 ----------

From a UK perspective, Tesco dominate and still hold biggest market share over most of their rivals- though they have started to see dips.

Aldi has around 421 stores here compared to Tesco (across all their symbols) with over 3,000.

Tesco did fail in USA with their Fresh and Easy brand.

I personally prefer Asda over Tesco.

Shopping patterns differ, too. In the UK, people tend to do one large shop per week, whereas in Germany they tend to buy what they want for the day (or on Saturday, for the weekend.)

Aldi is a large chain, but its stores tend to be very small by British or American standards. I live in a village which has just over 3000 inhabitants. There are 2 supermarkets (plus a couple of stores which concentrate on non-food items you might find in a supermarket.) The 3 nearest villages (all within about 5 miles) each have 2 supermarkets, none of which is an Aldi.

Aldi does have its own brand names - but they are not as recognisable as the 'own brand' names of some of the other supermarkets. (Rewe, the other supermarket in this village markets its own products under the brand-name 'Ja!'. The products are recognisable immediately by their wrapping.)

Germans seem to like to have a choice of supermarkets - and there is plenty of choice.

It's been said that a good measure of the ubiquity of a product is: "Can I buy it in Aldi?" (Though AFAIK, you can't buy either a BMW or a Mercedes from Aldi.)

Edited by Rupert_Baehr

I completely agree. I often work in Cheltenham, the WAITROSE there is very large and full of A1 people who say "excuse me" before entering your space.

Cheltenham is very well sectioned; in the city where the word CHAV was invented - they keep them up the other end of the town where the sun don't shine!