Best Wards pubs

The worst pint of wards I can remember having belive or not was the pub across the road from the brewery can't remember the name of it but I went in there a few times and it always seemed to be a bit murky and flat.its true what they used to say about Wards bitter if the landlord did not look after the beer properly it was a horrible pint.one of the best pints of Wards was served in the bridge down Heely used to frequent that pub when I was younger,I'm not sure but was the old crown up the road from the bridge a Wards pub..I still think the Domino pubs pint of Wards was cracking pint and in its heyday what a fantastic pub it was as well ultra modern with a panoramic view through the large windows..

The one across the road from the brewery (Ecclesall Rd.) was the Devonshire Arms,

the Wards pub on London Road at the corner of Albert Road is the Crown Inn.

I heard once that someone was brewing Wards in a micro brewery??

They got the original recipe (if that's the right word) from Vaux iirc.

Anyone else heard that?

Yes Jennings were brewing it had a few pints in the Commercial in Chapeltown not bad but just not the same.

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 12:23 ----------

I've still got two unopened tins of Wards best bitter,wonder what they would taste like now, many times I have looked at them and thought shall I open them,they are well past their sell by date..

Edited by Shogun

What a sham it was as well when they shut the brewery down there was talk of a workers buyout,apparently they offered more money than Swallow hotels who ended up with it,just a big con in the end, sad times I never got over it myself just wish I had the money to buy it at the time,I blame Thatcher myself with her monopolies and merger thing that she made the breweries go through,that was the ruin of the breweries to this day.

---------- Post added 11-08-2013 at 12:38 ----------

In town, it was difficult to beat the Red House on Solly Street, with the the Shakespeare a close second. Many a Friday lunchtime session in both of those.

Yes Red house on Solly street fab pint in there as well

The thing about wards bitter was once you started you got the taste for it and you just had to have another it was sort of habit forming, I think they must have put something in it to make you want more.I've never been a big drinker but I always ended up getting myself in a tangle once I started on the Wards:hihi:

The thing about wards bitter was once you started you got the taste for it and you just had to have another it was sort of habit forming, I think they must have put something in it to make you want more.I've never been a big drinker but I always ended up getting myself in a tangle once I started on the Wards:hihi:

Truer words have never been spoken, it was hypnotic almost :hihi: