Best Wards pubs

I heard once that someone was brewing Wards in a micro brewery??

They got the original recipe (if that's the right word) from Vaux iirc.

Anyone else heard that?

I remember a letter in the Star many years ago, from the former head brewer at Wards, he said that no one else could produce Wards bitter, because the local water used in the brewing process was what gave it that slight sulpher smell, which was very apparent with a bad pint! He said that Jennings (and I think Vaux tried making it as well), could make a nice pint but it would not taste like Wards.

Trying to think of the name of the Wards pub that was at the bottom of Granville Road (The Queens Ground?) used to go for lunch when I was at Granville College.

Edited by Grappler

I remember a letter in the Star many years ago, from the former head brewer at Wards, he said that no one else could produce Wards bitter, because the local water used in the brewing process was what gave it that slight sulpher smell, which was very apparent with a bad pint! He said that Jennings (and I think Vaux tried making it as well), could make a nice pint but it would not taste like Wards.

Trying to think of the name of the Wards pub that was at the bottom of Granville Road (The Queens Ground?) used to go for lunch when I was at Granville College.

The Royal Standard on St. Mary's Road.

Grappler like has been said the Standard was on left, but on other side was another pub whose name I forget; it was demolished after substantial damage was caused by a car.

Edit it was the Truro Tavern

Grappler like has been said the Standard was on left, but on other side was another pub whose name I forget; it was demolished after substantial damage was caused by a car.

Edit it was the Truro Tavern

think Truro was Whitbread.