Best Wards pubs

Petes sons were, Pete Mick Tom and Jimmy, Tom's a friend see him every now and then he runs the bar at the British legion club chapeltown,his brother Mick was killed on a motorbike a few years ago.. about his other brother Pete the last time I heard he was running a bar in Florida America..

Yes Pete did leave for Florida, he ran a bar in Tampa Bay. I saw his wife Janet a good few years ago on New Years Eve in the Dial. I had some cracking nights with them in the Manchester. I also lived up the road from the Industry so used to go in there every now and then.

One of the best nights was actually upstairs in the Monkey for a 'Gentlemens' night.

Edited by Sheffvlad
Typo

• 1 month later...
The one across the road from the brewery (Ecclesall Rd.) was the Devonshire Arms,

the Wards pub on London Road at the corner of Albert Road is the Crown Inn.

I never had a bad pint in the Devonshire and I had quite a few. My Uncle Bill lived in one of the Broomhall tower blocks and had a chip shop in Eccleshall Road, near the Nursery [Home Ales?]. Several pints in the Devonshire with him and me dad was a Sunday treat when I were a lad!

Any pub that served WARDS fine malt ale was a favorite. The domino was my local as i used to live on the flats. I think the original landlords name was trevor,and was in the Guards.Last time i was in sheffield i stopped in the Barrel. The pub accross the road , the tramways,was also on my rounds.Sorry to see the condition of the site now.I also remember the Hemitage, sunday morning topless dancers.(or so i am told) SHARROWYANK

If my memory serves me right wasn't the Dominos first landlords name Sam? EX SUT driver I was in on the opening night and he barred me it was a free jukebox and I repeatedly put the funky chicken on around 12 to 15 times as a joke he didn't see the funny side and turned awkward with me we had an argument and the rest is history I lived on High Fitzwilliam back then.

---------- Post added 24-09-2013 at 01:14 ----------

The furthest away wards pub I can think of was the pub on the A38 near Tamworth in Derbyshire can't remember the name of it,its a Indian restaurant now,infact there was another one a bit further up the road near the old Great Bear airfield at Fraggle park, I sometimes used to call in on the way to Telford when we lived there for a few years,

I remember having a pint of WARDS in the White Hart just off Putney bridge London was told by the then manager that there was three pubs selling WARDS in London.

I remember having a pint of WARDS in the White Hart just off Putney bridge London was told by the then manager that there was three pubs selling WARDS in London.

When I first moved down south I lived in Kilburn, where the only decent ale was in the Queens Head [maybe Arms] at No 1 Kilburn High Road [Youngs]. After a few years of this deprivation a pub down Maida Vale, on the way to Marylebone Station [can't remember its name] started selling Wards. This was after the takeover by Vaux. The Wards wasn't bad [for London] but not a patch on how I remember it in the Devonshire.

Did anyone know that the place was run by god fearing catholic's who would very rarely set any one to run a Wards pub that was not a catholic.dont know if he was joking but Pete Flynn who was a Wards landlord for many years always used to say this about the Wards management...I did her it from a few other people as well.

The worst pint of wards I can remember having belive or not was the pub across the road from the brewery can't remember the name of it but I went in there a few times and it always seemed to be a bit murky and flat.its true what they used to say about Wards bitter if the landlord did not look after the beer properly it was a horrible pint.one of the best pints of Wards was served in the bridge down Heely used to frequent that pub when I was younger,I'm not sure but was the old crown up the road from the bridge a Wards pub..I still think the Domino pubs pint of Wards was cracking pint and in its heyday what a fantastic pub it was as well ultra modern with a panoramic view through the large windows..

The pub you are thinking of was The Devonshire Arms, not there anymore student flats have been built on the site, the old landlord who couldn't keep a pint was called Ted but was usually know as the old toad.

Did anyone know that the place was run by god fearing catholic's who would very rarely set any one to run a Wards pub that was not a catholic.dont know if he was joking but Pete Flynn who was a Wards landlord for many years always used to say this about the Wards management...I did her it from a few other people as well.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. My Uncle Bill, the one who had the chip shop on Eccleshall Road, was approached several times by Wards management, who wanted him to take on one of their pubs. He would never say which one, but I always thought it would be the Devonshire. He always refused, which ****** me off mightily. The point is, there are no rat catchers, or god botherers of any other denomination, in my family.