Why can't VED be abolished and replaced with extra fuel duty?

Rates for expenses aren't really related... Although I suppose it would be quite easy to add the duty amount onto the rate at which companies are allowed to reimburse you. If it's private car reimbursement though, they don't currently pay for your VED, so I doubt they'd want to pay for your duty.

They're paid to cover the fuel you use as part of your duties. If the cost of fuel goes up but mileage allowance doesn't (and doesn't cover the fuel cost), then the employee is paying for the associated expenses of doing their job.

I get compensated for using my own car for work. It's changed recently so that it's not a separate payment any more, but it's still there.

The Channel Islands got around the 'No insurance' problem by requiring cars to carry an 'insurance disk' (The same size as a tax disc) in place of the tax disc.

So effectively the cost of administering the "tax disk" is shifted from the government to the insurance companies and insurance policies will go up accordingly.

Who would we register vehicle ownership with?

They're paid to cover the fuel you use as part of your duties. If the cost of fuel goes up but mileage allowance doesn't (and doesn't cover the fuel cost), then the employee is paying for the associated expenses of doing their job.

I get compensated for using my own car for work. It's changed recently so that it's not a separate payment any more, but it's still there.

What if you aren't compensated ie the ones who choose to commute an hour or more? That will cost em. Will we see more people trying to live closer to work(call centre villages anyone?) and maybe less traffic on mways?

So effectively the cost of administering the "tax disk" is shifted from the government to the insurance companies and insurance policies will go up accordingly.

Why?

Does a circular certificate of insurance cost significantly more to produce than one of the rectangular ones? (Like the certificate of insurance you have at the moment.)

Why?

Does a circular certificate of insurance cost significantly more to produce than one of the rectangular ones? (Like the certificate of insurance you have at the moment.)

Well let's assume that they won't issue you with insurance without a valid MOT certificate - so they would incur the costs of running / maintaining a system to check on that.

Well let's assume that they won't issue you with insurance without a valid MOT certificate - so they would incur the costs of running / maintaining a system to check on that.

I think both issues are increasingly being addressed by ANPR cameras which can access DVLA and insurance company databases.

I think both issues are increasingly being addressed by ANPR cameras which can access DVLA and insurance company databases.

So effectively we'd be paying for this to be "policed" by a different route - I assume we'll need a substantial increase in the number of APNR cameras to avoid people dodging it.

That's not a problem in the Channel Islands, is it? (They don't have an MOT test.)

Is there any reason why the MOT certificate couldn't be replaced by another disc-type decal?

The police and traffic wardens check tax discs. Can't they check that each car has 2 discs? - It's not much harder than counting to 'one' is it?

It seems that Insurance companies already pass details of insurance coverage to police authorities. (If you get stopped by the Police in Germany, the first thing they will ask for is your insurance certificate and they are able to confirm 'out of country' insurance, too, so there would be no additional costs there.)

That's not a problem in the Channel Islands, is it? (They don't have an MOT test.)

The Channel Islands are tiny - many fewer cars than the whole of Sheffield - and not easy to take cars away from there. I think the average income is quite a bit higher as well so many people will have newer cars - don't think they have lots of big council estates / inner city areas.

No a good comparison - it's like people who want to abolish traffic lights in British cities because it's worked in a Dutch village.

Archived