National Lottery

People have lost interest thats why the jackpots are so low.

So their stupid solution is to charge twice as much to double the jackpot but less people will play it.

Why pay £2 to win £4m on Saturday when you can pay £2 on Friday's Euromillions and win £12m.

They've got this one all wrong.

Should've given it to Virgin in the last bidding process. Another dodgy decision by Parliament like the train fiasco.

New Lotto will be launching on 5th October.

What's changing?

For draws from 5th October, new Lotto will cost £2 per line, creating bigger jackpots and a new raffle with at least 50 guaranteed winners of £20,000 in every draw. Matching 3 numbers will also now win you £25.

Can I still play in advance?

Yes, although there will be some temporary changes to the way you can play in advance leading up to the launch of new Lotto on 5th October.

From 11th August, the number of weeks you can play the current Lotto game in advance will reduce each week until tickets for new Lotto go on sale on 3rd October.

From 3rd October, you'll then be able to play Lotto up to eight weeks in advance as normal.

Why pay £2 to win £4m on Saturday when you can pay £2 on Friday's Euromillions and win £12m.

I know what you mean. I'm knee deep in millionaires round my way. I can't move for all the Rolls Royces bought by Euromillions winners. Can't they have some consideration and buy smaller cars?

Because the odds of winning the jackpot on the National Lottery are about 14 million to 1 whilst the odds of winning the jackpot on Euromillions are about 116 million to 1?

Exactly.

Both are a tax on the poor.

tax

Pronunciation: /taks/

noun

1a compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits, or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions

No one is forced to buy lottery tickets, so in that sense, it's not a tax.

I was told by the bloke at work that runs our syndicate that he was stopping it in October, as it was going to £2.

Your post..

You daft on a purpose, my post doesn't even begin to suggest that. no he told me that it was going up to 2 quid & felt it was a rip off, hence he would not continue with the syndicate.

Had you read my post property you could see I was asking a question and not making a statement.

So why are you stopping it if the price has increased?

You omitted the rip off bit in your earlier post.

You can still invest the same amount but you'll only get 1/2 the numbers you previously purchased.

I could invest £1000 in the lottery and not get a single win.

I could also invest £2 and win the jackpot.

If you don't play then you'll never win.

If you do play, then you might win but the odds are highly unlikely.

I could invest £1000 in the lottery and not get a single win.

I could also invest £2 and win the jackpot.

If you don't play then you'll never win.

If you do play, then you might win but the odds are highly unlikely.

Really?

AFAIK, Instant Scratchcards claim that 'One in Ten is a winner'. That 1 in 10 include those cards which just give you your money back, so presumably if you don't lose your money, you're a winner.

If you don't buy a ticket, you won't lose your money. - You're a winner (and it doesn't take any effort to win :hihi:)

I know what you mean. I'm knee deep in millionaires round my way. I can't move for all the Rolls Royces bought by Euromillions winners. Can't they have some consideration and buy smaller cars?

Exactly.

tax

Pronunciation: /taks/

noun

1a compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits, or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions

No one is forced to buy lottery tickets, so in that sense, it's not a tax.

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_tax

I was once told that in statistics if you came across something with the same odds that you had of winning the National Lottery you'd round the odds down to zero. So in effect your cances of winning the Lottery are not increased by buying a ticket! :hihi:

• 7 months later...

Archived