Mobile phone while driving NOT linked to accidents?

Mobile phone drivers 'not linked' to accident figures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23631406

So this law introduced by Tony Blair's Labour government back in December 2003 is based on no evidence what-so-ever and is now proven to be completely false.

To be fair, the headline in your OP is based on only half the evidence the other half hasn't been proven to be false.

"We were only looking at talking, not texting or internet use. And it may be that the traffic conditions on the road at that time [9pm] are such that moderate use of cellphones does not present a hazard."

The study's also from the USA where there's far greater ownership of automatic vehicles.

To be fair, the headline in your OP is based on only half the evidence the other half hasn't been proven to be false.

"We were only looking at talking, not texting or internet use. And it may be that the traffic conditions on the road at that time [9pm] are such that moderate use of cellphones does not present a hazard."

The study's also from the USA where there's far greater ownership of automatic vehicles.

Also, the roads in the USA tend to run straighter and longer and have less roadside furniture than our our overcrowded much narrower winding roads.

Mobile phone drivers 'not linked' to accident figures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23631406

So this law introduced by Tony Blair's Labour government back in December 2003 is based on no evidence what-so-ever and is now proven to be completely false.

Mobile phones used by people while driving DO cause accidents. They are a distraction and any distraction while driving is a danger.

Hands free phones are the only ones legal in California while driving.

I was knocked from my motorcycle by a young woman with a cell phone stuck to her ear so there's the living proof.

You don't need researchers to tell you people are more likely to crash if they are calling or texting while driving.

The research in your link simply expected more accidents in a given time window because mobile providers offered free calls or text in those windows, I suspect most accidents occur when people are driving because they have important or unexpected calls or messages which can happen at any given time of the day.

I'm not saying that driving while using a phone is a good thing but it has to be said that in the vast majority of crashes no one was using a mobile phone.

In the vast majority of crashes no-one was giving head or doing gymnastics.

But I'd suggest that doing such things would make a driver more likely to have an accident than if they weren't.

The majority of plane crashes don't happen because of bombs, but that's not a reason to routinely allow bombs on board planes.

Archived