Mobile phone while driving NOT linked to accidents?

Funny, I could have sworn I saw a white van, on a straight road, suddenly veer left and clout the kerb and bounce back yesterday. Driver on the phone.

All the erratic driving I see when drivers are on the phone must be my imagination.

An ex-work colleague of mine did a lengthy prison sentence for causing death by dangerous driving after crashing into a stationary vehicle on the M62, back in the days when it wasn't illegal to use a phone whilst driving. Quite simply, had he not been on his phone, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Mobile phone drivers 'not linked' to accident figures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23631406

So this law introduced by Tony Blair's Labour government back in December 2003 is based on no evidence what-so-ever and is now proven to be completely false.

So are you advocating mobiles while driving or just rying to have a dig at Labour ... or both?

So are you advocating mobiles while driving or just rying to have a dig at Labour ... or both?

Probably about to make the myopic suggestion of an unjustified stealth tax on the poor motorist ... In spite of the fact that pretty much every country in the thinking developed world has outlawed mobile phone use whilst at the steering wheel.

I used to check my mobile while driving until i saw this episode of BBC's 'Traffic Cops'

I will not even look at my phone if it rings now and if im in a car with someone who trys to answer their phone i take it off them.

For anyone who thinks its a good idea. Take 28mins of your life to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXPWjIpVTx8

Also, the roads in the USA tend to run straighter and longer and have less roadside furniture than our our overcrowded much narrower winding roads.

Something Bill Bryson mentions in "The Lost Continent":

On a road as straight and as wide as an American interstate, fifty-five miles an hour is just too slow. It feels like walking speed. Cars and trucks coming towards you on the opposite carriageway seem to be travelling on one of those pedestrian conveyor belts you find in airports. You can see the people inside, get a long, lingering glimpse into their lives, as they slide past. And there’s no sense of driving. You need to put a hand to the wheel occasionally just to confirm your course, but you can take time out to do the most intricate things – count your money, brush your hair, tidy up the car, use the rear-view mirror to search-and-destroy blackheads, read maps and guidebooks, put on or discard articles of clothing. If your car possessed cruise control you could just about climb in the back and take a nap.

(Don't try this on a UK road :D)

Why is it that its illegal to drive using a mobile phone yet not illegal to smoke whilst driving as both require you to have one hand off the wheel and you can't change gear? so whats the difference??

You must have full control of the vehicle at all times i.e. two hands on the wheel except when carrying out driving actions (so changing gear is OK). So driving with one hand, cigarette in the other could be deemed to be an offence if loss of control is seen by a PC. As an ex-smoker I know of the dangers inherent with trying to drive with smoke in eyes and/or red-hot embers in lap (having caught the end of the fag on the steering wheel). So I would urge others not to smoke whist driving.

There was a case years ago of a woman being nicked for eating an apple (as the press would have it). In fact, her momentary loss of control leaning over to get the apple out her handbag was what drew the PC's attention to her.

So, to say that smoking is not illegal is not exactly true since it depends entirely on the outcome of the activity (or likely outcome) as perceived by a PC.

Your question hits at the heart, however, of the mobile phone question.

The fact that the law focuses on hand-held being illegal and hands-free being legal means that the law in some people's eyes is silly. After all, phone to ear is just one-handed driving and how many get away with that every day? So what's the problem with any phone conversation?

DISTRACTION: Fiddling with buttons? The conversation? Is it any more distracting than a passenger talking to the driver? I know what I think and others think about it - more than a few companies are outlawing all phone use by their employees out on the road in recognition that hands-free is not a magic pill for safe outcomes. The only risk-limiting approach for them is to instruct to turn it off and/or put it out of reach so that there is no temptation to look and see who has just texted ... and these companies and organisations find a way of stepping back from the need to have immediate contact with everyone ... but for those that can't bear to be out of touch even for a moment this is a bitter pill.

Next time you are behind a vehicle and it does not seem to be moving with the rest of the traffic, veering towards the kerb, the centre line, not indicating,braking suddenly or faffing about in general just have a look at the driver if you can.

He's either drunk or on the phone!

Last year I was riding up Prince of Wales road in the right lane on my Harley.

My bike always has its three lamps on, it's large with lots of chrome and loud as hell.

Very visible you would say.

There was a taxi in the left lane to my front who started to veer in to me as I was passing.

I think you have guessed it! He was on his phone.

Having previously used a mobile while driving and realising the effects it had on my awareness and driving skills I don't think any survey will convince me that it doesn't affect your driving.

He's either drunk or on the phone!

They could be new to driving in the UK (immigrant) or old, the amount of elderly driver i see who really do take their time is a joke. I don't agree with talking while driving but to say that it's either drink or phone related when someone is swering/going slow is wrong.

Archived